Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Sugar high and getting the shakes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Sugar high and getting the shakes

on occasion my daughter gets up in the morning with a high blood sugar but has the shakes like she is having a low. She has been on some medications for shoulder pain (vicodin) and imitrix for headaches. Can these medications cause the highs and the shakes? Are there other reasons for having the shakes and highs?  She is 30 years old and a diabetic since age 15.
I'm not a medical doc, but numerous studies have traced certain seizure disorders with diabetes. This is at least something you might want to ask her doctor about?

I experienced this a couple of years ago over the course of a month or two. After all of my tests came back normal, including an EEG, I am fully convinced that these effects were due to both the use and withdrawal of Aspartame (AKA-Diet Pepsi). And it doesn't look like I'm alone if you take a peak around the internet~. I mention that only because several diabetics still do use Aspartame.

I would also suggest, as a patient to patient, to read up what you can on "P-5-P." Good luck.

Hello Blaine,
As you may know, we're not physicians here but we're all folks with lots of experience with diabetes.

Sometimes we experience the senaation of a low when our blood sugar is dropping quickly... even if it's dropping from a high number to a less-high number.  The feeling of being low is very real and many of us "treat" it with a nibble of food even tho' our body doesn't need that food.  I'm not sure that's what docs recommend, but the urgency to deal with it seems overwhelming --and a nibble seems to satisfy the brain connections that triggered the initial alert.  Not sure if this might explain it, but since you mention it happens "occasionally" it might be.  Is her insulin possible peaking at that time?

I also did a bit of research on vicodin last year to respond to a question here (7/22/2004) from another parent who's diabetic child was taking vicodin for spinal pain.  Vicodin (narcotics in general) is assocated with higher blood sugars.  Here's the citation:
MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR BIOLOGY, Sept. 2003, p. 6255