Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Sugar intake causes increased heartrate and palpitations

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes in Nov of 2003.

My family is full of diabetics (they all Type 1's though, I am the only Type 2 so far), so it really came as no suprise.

I'm generally extremely careful about what I eat, but I've noticed the odd time I allow myself something sweet, my heart rate really kicks up (as high as 100-120 bpm) and I get palpitations.

Also,  the odd palpitation is a little painful (kind of like a "pinch" inside my chest). Is it normal for palps to be a little painful?

Are increased heartrate and palpitations upon sugar ingestion normal for a diabetic? Not related to diabetes at all? If not - what else could it be?

What can I do about it, (aside from the obvious, which would be to not allow myself even the most rare splurge of sweets)?

Thank you sincerely,
Nancy (49 yrs old)

PS: I also have hypertension, hypothyroid and fibromyalgia. My thyroid levels are presently optimized.

Avatar n tn
Nancy,
     I am a volunteer with both Medhelp and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and I am also the Mom of a 16 year old girl who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 21 months.  Any information that I pass on to you should be verified with your healthcare team.
     I have no knowledge of the ingestion of sugar relating to heart rate.  
     Your symptoms should be discussed with your physician immediately, as they could be very serious.  You should explain your symptoms and also the medications that you are taking.  Keeping a log of what you are eating and how you feel afterward may be helpful to your physician also.
     I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help to you.
Avatar n tn
so im not sure if i should be worried. every time i intake any sugar what so ever, such as eating a cookie or taking a sip of sweet tea, in about 30 to 45 minutes my body starts reacting weird. my symptoms generally include, short rapid breathing, my heart rate sky rockets, my vision becomes blurred, my fingers and toes become numb, i acquire a headache, i grow pale and have the inability to focus on anything such as the paper in front of me. what could be causing this? im at no risk of obesity and run 3 to 7 miles at least twice a week.
Avatar n tn
you might have something known as diabetic ketoacidosis or metabolic acidosis
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
leesymiller added the Addiction Recovery Tracker
Jun 28
senseanonymous  commented on photo
Jun 28
MH Community Mgr commented on stacey10's status
Jun 28