Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Sugary drinks and training

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Sugary drinks and training

Amy (9) is in swimming club and training sessions are either 1 or 1.5 hours long. Swimming brings her blood sugar down load. If it is over 17mmol (sorry im in UK and dont know your US measurement units) I give her sugar free juice or water, and get her to check sugar level half way, if it is under 17 she sips the isotonic drink during training.
Problem is -
Coach kicked everyones drink bottles off the poolside the last training session because the kids were messing with drinks and not listening to him, I went up and told him Amy needed her drink because she is diabetic and blah blah blah - he said she didnt and it was only a recent thing that people drink in training and he would keep an eye on her, and his son is diabetic.
Well, surely everyone is different in how their body reacts etc - but i dont want to alienate the coach and go on about this to him - should i give her 500ml (or 250ml - or..?)of isotonic drink pre and post training if sugar level warrants it?
Any suggestions on how much and when to give gratefully received!
Amy's mum,
I wouldn't allow any coach to put his rules of discipline over my loved one's health needs.  

I'd encourage you to insist that she be able to test/ be tested AND have her drinks nearby.  Remind him that it is not a DRINK she needs; it's "medicine" if she's low.

IMO, with a pool full o' kids, he is incapable of monitoring her as diligently as she might need.

In light of the recent dangerous hypo experience with her, he might wll interpret her "non-response" as defiance and the potential risk is unthinkable to consider.

Perhaps you can talk with him privately to convince him that she needs her medical supplies with her.  Period.  If he's unwilling to bend, move up the chain of command or find another place for her training, one that IS safe for her.

Best wishes and good luck on this.
Hi my name is Wendy- when my daughter was on shots, I checked her blood right before she exercised or if she went swimming (mom & dad have a pool).
If she is in her target range I usually gave her a small amount of extra sugar to cover the exercise.  And then I check her right after and 2-3 hrs later.  Now that my daughter is on the pump, when she is going to be disconnected for swimming.  I test her before she goes in and about 1 hr later she rechecks and then either connects for a few minutes if she is high or continues in the pool if ok.  
We worked this system out with our doctor.  I would suggest talking to the coach and explain to him that each child is different. If the coach still gives you trouble then I recommend you get a note from your doctor and see if he can make suggestions that are right for your child.  He might recommend changing your doses on training days.