Diabetes - Type 1 Community
The Opticlik Lantus system vs the Levimer Flex Pen

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

About a month ago I started taking 36 Units of Lantus at bedtime using the Opticlik Cartridge Delivery System and during the day I use Novolog Insulin throaway Flex Pen and that is 12 units before I eat anything. I have had so much problem with that Lantus Opticlik that my Health Providers will switch me to the Levimere Flex  Pen after I use up all the lantus cartridges.  Is lantus a better insulin or is Levimere just as good as Lantus using it as a basal 24 Hour insulin???.  I get my supplies from the Military Hospital because I am a retired service member and they do not have the lantus solostar flex pen but they do have the levimer flex pen.  I also noticed with Lantus I get hungary allot but I do not give into the temptation of eating and I only eat twice a day but a heck of lot less then I had in the past.  Will levemiere insulin get rid of that hungar pain and can I just use it like I use the lantus by taking 36 Units at night???.  
Tags: Levemir
I, too, had a lot of trouble with the Opticlick pen.  It was just unreliable in that it would sometimes leak with injection so I never knew if I was getting the proper dosage.  I switched to Levemir (flex pen) a couple of years ago, and it has been fine.  Both Lantus and Levemir are the peakless insulins.  They provide your "background coverage" all day long (24 hours).  When you eat, you need the fast acting insulin like Novolog to act quickly to cover the meal. For some, Lantus and Levemir act the same.  For me, Levemir seemed to work better in that it provided more consistency to my blood sugar levels. I like Levemir.  I have switched to 2 shots per day (morning and night) instead of just taking the 1 shot at night, because the 1 shot at night may not cover the 24 hours.  In terms of being hungry, have you checked your blood sugar when you are feeling so hungry? Maybe you're low.  If that's the case, maybe you can lower the amount Lantus or Levemir.
Thanks ever so much friend for witing back on and about my problems with opticlik as this auto pen seems to brake down every chance, I have had two of the instruments now and they just do not work right and been told by support that I should dial up the dosage very slow and I do and that doesn't and didn't  help at all and it would still jam up on dosage knob so I now have the levemir lfex pen which is so similar to the novo log flex pen except the colors of both pens are different so you do not confuse the two insulins. I will finsih up on the lantus as not to waste it and then go on the levemir flex pen never having to worry about the problems I had with the Lantus Auto Pen which will be a thing of the past.  Oh your right when I get hungary my sugar is low and never realized that before as I have gone down to 80 at one point.  I have to watch it now so I do not go Hypo. because that is a bad feeling in description and not nice to put up with.  Thanks friend to or for answering my comment.  Oh by the way I had asked my doctor this question in that I am to assume that the name of the matter is to make sure I keep my blood sugars down and he said yes as a matter of general discussion...  
You need to eat 3 meals a day plus a couple of snacks. That way it evens out your sugar levels.

I have had diabetes for over 40 yrs. and it has been hard for me to accept that by eating it actually lowers sugar levels. It does work though.
I agree the lantus just never worked for me.  I take the levimir, however, it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little I take.  In the morning, I have been experencing many more lows, like lows (35 or so).  I had been on pump therapy for 15 years, so I guess I'm still getting used to this.
lantus is the bombest **** around....you guys are all using it wrong.

try 25 units not 35 (WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING?) and you wont go low....this is for 8 hours of sleep.....dont take it with humalog....humalog is only for when you eat and lantus only when you sleep....You guys have got some bad information and I would be afraid if I had your guy's doctors.... take it before you sleep ...just 25 units...

It a miracle you even woke pumping 35 units
I am interested in your comment in terms of having diabeties for 40yrs.  Would you explain to me how you manage to even out your sugar levels