Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Too young to be tested for juvenile diabetes?

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

My son who is 21 months old is showing signs of diabetes such as heavy and frequent urination and constant thirst, is he too young to be tested?
No- absolutely not!  My son was just diagnosed with T1 Juvenile Diabetes last week... he is 10 months old.  My advice is to get your son checked if you have any worries before it becomes serious.  We had no clue with our son, and were told by his Pedi. to just give him as much as he wanted to drink (and we moved him in to a bigger size diapers than he needed due to his large amount of urination).  It wasn't until out of the blue he started vomitting and then having difficulty breathing that we took him to the ER and found out he was suffering from severe Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and was within hours of death (we had thought it was simply a flu or croup when we took him in; thank goodness we didn't wait or take him back to his Pediatrician instead).  He is now on an insulin pump and doing great... his drinking has reduced to about 1/3 as much as he use to, and diaper changes are back to a normal amount.  Oh, and FYI, there is NO history of diabetes in our family... it was totally out of the blue.
Hope your son is fine and it's nothing serious, but I'd recommend putting your mind at ease and having his blood sugar checked just in case.  Our son's Endocrinologist told us that the youngest patient she has on the insulin pump is only 8 weeks old... and although anything under 2 is rare for T1, it's obviously not impossible.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet