Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Transportation of insulin

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Transportation of insulin

My 16 yr old son is going to France (8 hr flight from Canada)on a 3 month exchange program. How can we transport a 3 month supply of insulin, keeping it refrigerated at all times and not have any additional carry on itmes, such as a cooler? The insulin will probably have to be kept cool for about 12 hours in total. Are there companies that specialize in such overseas transport of medical supplies?
Dear milf,
    Not sure what help i might be. i usually keep some of those ice thingys in the freezer that are made of plastic and put them with the insulin in my carry on luggage.i've never heard of any companies that transport insulin overseas. This would have to be an overnight company which would require that you pack it so as to keep the temperature at the proper level. Though it would be wise to check with a pharmacist to see if insulin would fare well being transported without refrigeration, since it would be a pereiod of about 12 hours and they say insulin can last a month without refrigeration and is being used. Or check with your sons doctor to see what he recommends.
good luck,
bret
When I traveled with insulin I asked my pharmacists for a small Styrofoam cooler.  That is how they get the insulin. You carry it on board the plane with your.  It is not considered luggage as it is medical supplies.  It should also fit in a carry on.

Good luck
http://www.coolerconcept.com/

I saw this on the Internet for keeping insulin cool.  I have not personally tried it, but perhaps you can investigate further.
I wanted to let you know the Medicool two-vial insulin case also has a beltloop.  So you can put your belt through it while hiking.  One less thing to carry.
I like the medicool ice pack for two vials of insulin, too.  I have one.  I think I'll buy another one.  It is handy to travel with, as long as you stay overnight someplace where you can put at least one refrigerant pack in the freezer.  This is usually the case.   It comes with two refrigerant packs.
I have a travel case "Insulin Protector" from http://www.medicool.com/ that is just wonderfull.  I work long shifts, so I have to send insulin to my babysitter when she watches my daughter and after ~11+ hours everything is still nice and cold.
Mine only holds two insulin bottles, but there might be something larger, and it comes with a second insert that you can keep frozen while using the first one, so you never have to wait for it to freeze.
Good luck,
K
Would it not be possible to arrange for him to take a prescription and get it made up in France, may seem complicated but it shouldn't be.
It might be possible, but what if it isn't?  What if it takes a day or two to get it?  Why take the chance?  Would you want to get placed on the other side of the world without the ability to eat?
He should expect the best, but must be prepared for the worst.
I have just realised this, silly I know. But Susan's Diabetic Nurse has told us that it is okay to keep the insulin you are using (ie an open Vial) at Room temperature for 28 days. So you could take one months suppply withour worrying to much about cooling it.