Type 1-Negative antibodies?
Hey everyone! I was just diagnosed diabetic a month ago at age 30. It had been up in the air if I was type 1 or 2. Many of my symptoms (DKA, visions change, high blood sugar #'s, keytones in urine, etc) pointed to type 1 but my age, family history and some lab results (negative antibodies) pointed to type 2. My endocrinologist believes me to be type 1, even though my antibody tests came back negative, based off majority of my symptoms along with my c-peptide and insulin levels. She believes I haven't started producing antibodies since it's only been about 5 weeks since this whole ordeal has started.

Here's my question...can somebody be type 1 with none of the antibodies? Obviously, I am not questing my endocrinologist and her diagnosis but I'm curious if anyone else has come across this. Does it take a while for antibodies to be present? This was a rapid-onset of diabetes because all my symptoms came within 3 weeks, after a flu-like sickness. I just wonder if I will eventually will produce antibodies or if I can be type 1 and antibody-free.

Needless to say, it's been quite the roller coaster. Thanks for your input and help.
Hi chelsey, it is known that some  people can be type 1 and apparently antibody negative.  

Main thing is to have correct  treatment.
I was sort of wondering the same thing about myself although I have antibodies present so the endocrinologist told me that I was type 1 which I'm sure I most likely am. I'm 34 and just got diagnosed and it came on pretty quickly as well. The first Dr. who diagnosed me, not a specialist but has been working with diabetics for years said that there is no way to tell for sure even though the endocrinologist will tell you differently which they did.

I also have a good friend who is an internal medicine Doc and he basically said the same thing. Thought about getting another opinion but they'll most likely just say the same thing since the antibodies are there. I'm on a low carb diet and need very little insulin. Wanted to try and get off of it
Hi Dave.  I am kind of in the same boat.  Somewhere between type 1 and type 2, but no antibodies.  Low insulin requirements. Low c-peptide.  Probably I am what they call LADA, which is slow adult age onset type 1.  

Anyway, I think the most important thing is not the type of diabetes we have, but how well we manage it.

I also eat very low carb, and this results in great management and good numbers, with relatively little insulin.