Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Type 1 diabetes and the Air Force

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes and the Air Force

Hello, I have seen an old post about someone being discharged from the Air Force because they developed type 1 diabetes while active duty.  I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of benefits you get for this.  I am in the Air Force, and was diagnosed about a month ago.  From what I understand I am about to get MEB'd and  I will be getting medically discharged as well.  I am currently using Humalog and Lantus, and I take about 4 to 5 shots a day total.  I am kind of scared about getting kicked out, and I just want to know what type of benefits people get for this.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,
Hello.  Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question.  You'd be better off to contact your unit's personnel division and inquire about how the medical separation works.  Good luck.
Excellent information, AF Flight Doc!  Thank you so much!
Hey sir, thank you for the information, and I will get familiar with all that applies to me.  Right now, with the AF trying to get rid of people I am almost positive I will be medically seperated.  Thing is, I just want to know if anyone here has been through this process.  I have been told they will either medically retire, or medically seperate me, what determines whether or not I will be "Retired"?  Also, if someone knows anyone, or has been through this process themselves, what percentage of disability are they getting.  I know there are alot of different circumstances, and each case is different, but I just want to know a ball park figure of what I should expect.  7 Oct will be my 4 year mark, I have never been in trouble, all 5's on my EPR's, I made Staff Sergeant, on my first test, and I will probably never get to sew it on.  Thanks for all of your replys.    
I have been recently diagnosed with Type 1 as well. I see that this question was posted a long time ago. I am hoping that there is a possibility that someone sees this. I have the same questions that you had back then in 07'

I don't know what is going to happen to me. I'd like to know if you were able to stay in and if not the benefits inwhich you are at now

I hope that this is ok.

Hi everyone, My brother who is active USAF was just diagnosed with type 1. Me being active USAF and his bigger brother, the first thing I started to do was go through the regs to help him.

Not to kill hope but the Air Force doesn't want people with Type 1 Diabetes. Its the liability, its nothing personal. Trying to fight to stay in, seems as if it does  more damage to you because of that fact they view you as you being more capable of handling your diease.

My best advice is to document everything and get light-duty profiles. I could not understand what you are all going through, but it is so painful to watch the Air Force take away my brothers uniform, even though he is one of the most capable and strong individuals I have ever met.

Its the policy your fighting, so untill they change the policy you have to fight for percentages. Get the best percentages you can. Being a Victim of Diabetes is not your fault, and you should not be punished because of it.

There are alot of key things out there that will get you an awesome percentage,  there is a study out there that has proven 1 in 1000 people who have had anthrax vaccine become insulin dependent. You can report this to the CDC.

Stay vigilant in reporting every little complication you have. Don't try to fight the system or tough it out, because the Air Force has taken a very stern stance on it. Get your percentage and start early, don't wait until after the MEB!

Like others have said, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Medically seperated you are out there alone, medically retired is no different than a 20 year retirement. The difference between Medically retired and medically seperated is 1%!!! DOCUMENT EVERY LITTLE THING!!!!

I hope this helps....Good Luck and Keep Hope in your Heart!
Thanks for your input.  My son was Diagnosed in March.  He also is in the Air Force and was in Thailand when got very sick.  He was first told he had Ketoacidosis, then they said it is Type 1 Diabetes.  

My son had 3 Anthrax shots very close together prior to his onset.
This is destroying his dreams and military career and the Air Force doesn't seem to care.

If you or any one else out there have more suggestions on what he can do to get those
percentages up, please reply.

They aren't even giving them a chance to decline the Anthrax shots.
I would love to know how many military families are out there just like us.
I see several posts on different sites, and this is occurring a lot more
than most people realize.

Again, thanks for you advise and good luck to your brother.
I'm a 14year old type one diabetic and have been for 5 years, it never before occurred to me that this would limit me but now it does. I want to be in the Air Force as a surgeon but I've heard people saying the air force wont take me because of a disease that is controlled but that i didnt ask for. Dose anyone know if I can still be a US Air Force Surgeon with Diabetes?