Diabetes - Type 1 Community
WORRIED

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

WORRIED

My Nephew has been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  I was never so upset when I heard the news.  His Parents were equally upset.  When I hear him talk re his insulin injections and that it hurts if he injects in his stomach, it upsets me.  Diabetes is cruel expecially for a young child when they can never eat sweets or chocolates ever again.  I would love to know does does diabetes damage the kidneys in time or if one sticks to a strict diet and daily intake of insulin, would be be safer.  Could someone give me some answer please.  I came across this forum and it was like a life saviour to me.  I read though the forum and it gave me such great relief to hear all the problems with diabetes.
Hi PIPPIROSE,
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 14. Some very close friends of mine have a daughter who was born a diabetic. At 6 months of age this little girl would automatically stick her finger out to have her blood tested. She is the most dynamic energetic well adjusted child I have ever met. I understand how upsetting this news can be but the more you and your nephews parents support him and are positive the better adjusted he will be. I am proud of the fact that you are trying to get more information to help him. It will be empowering for you and him. Having said that control is the number one factor in preventing any complications of the disease. I am now 44 years old I have a 14 year old daughter and I do not have any complications associated with the diabetes. I do work very hard in keeping my blood sugar under control. One of the things that helped me very much was the use of an insulin pump. I would suggest investigating this option with your nephews doctor. With a pump there are no more daily injections but rather one every 2-3 days. If you look up insulin pumps on the internet it will give you a wealth of information. In addition it gives you much more freedom as far as meals and scheduling. You do not say how old your nephew is but as he becomes more active with school activities etc timing meals can be more difficult so this may help. This little girl I mentioned earlier is now 5 and is on the insulin pump and is doing very well. However it does take a great deal of participation from her parents. As far as never eating sweets again, think about how many sugar free deserts there are on the market these days. Just go to your local supermarket and take notice of all the ice cream, puddings and the like available. I think he will be quite satisfied. I think about when I was diagnosed there was Tab and those horrible artificial sweeteners. The food industry has come a long way so do not worry! The key even with sugar free foods is understanding how food impacts insulin. Counting carbohydrates and fats are very important in keeping good control especially if you are going to consider the insulin pump. I would again recommend talking to the doctor about how foods impact the diabetes and the insulin intake. Something else that may help your nephew is support groups. On the home page of this website there is a link to find a local JDRF chapters I am sure there are groups in your area that will help him and possibly one which you may find helpful. Lastly please do not worry, although it will take a lot of work to control the diabetes your nephew can live a perfectly normal life. Knowledge is power the more you know about living with diabetes the better everyone involved will be. You are on the right path. Good luck and please contact us again if you should want any more information.
Thank you for replying.  You made my day and I really mean that.  I am trying to read so much on Type 1 Diatetes.  I am trying to do my best for my Nephew, and his parents.  To tell you the truth, I was so upset last week and now I am coming around.  You spoke re the insulin pump.  I mentioned that to my sister in law but as my nephew is only 8, the Hospital told her no, because he is too young but they just said that hopefully the insulin implant should be available in the not too distant future.  I could not relate the news quick enough re the insulin pump but then when I heard that he was too young, I was a bit disheartened to tell you the truth.  The information you have given me is excellent and honestly, you brightened my day.  If you could ever give me any more information on whether diatetes type 1 affects peoples mood swings or anything else I would be greatful.  It seems my nephew's blood level went quite low last night and his parents were very nervous I must say.  They gave him Lucozade but that seemed to make him worse.  I suppose it is all trial and error.  Again, thank you so much.
Hello Again,
I was glad to hear that you felt more confident after hearing from us. I just wanted to add that mood swings are common when blood sugars are very low. I have had much experience with this and it can range anywhere from anger to extreme depression. Do not worry this is a common side effect. Remember when someones blood sugar is  low they become incoherent and emotions can become extreme. I am not familiar with Lucozade but from what I can tell it is a hig glucose energy drink.Anything with high glucose should work but it also has high caffine levels so perhaps that was not helping. From my exprience the best treatment for low blood sugar is some kind of fruit juice or sweetened drinks such as fruit punch. I prefer 100% fruit juices since they are healthier and only have natural sugars. They work very quickly which is the result you are looking for.
You are absolutle right with regards to trial and error. Learning how your body reacts is a very important part about good control. Keep us posted on how your nephew progresses. It sounds like he has a great support team!
Like the previous poster, I am a long-time type 1 diabetic who is now a healthy grandmother. I was diagnosed as a child, and I can attest to the fact that even without a pump (I have chosen not to use a pump, for I prefer multiple shots), life can be very normal for your nephew.  WIth multiple shots, I am able to maintain excellent control over my glucose levels and my life is rich and full. Foods are not a problem, for nowadays, most of us count carbohydrates that we eat, and we take insulin according to the number of the carbs in that particular meal. So foods with sugar are considered as safe as sugarfree foods as long as we know what the carbohydrate count is. Most parents of type 1 kids nowadays do not ban cookies and other sweets from their kids' diets, but instead count the carbohydrates in those foods and work them into the proper totals for that particular meal or snack. So your nephew will become a great mathematician, but he will not be deprived.
Thank you for replying also.  You are all so kind and it has helped to relate my thoughts and especially my many questions.  It gives me great consolation to hear what you said about using the insulin injection and that you are fine with same.  Regarding foods that once one watches the calorie intake etc., there is a way around same.  Thank you once again for replying.  Very much appreciated.
Team CG,

The information you have given me will be be retained by me as it is such valid and precious information.  I had such a terrible traumatic week and a half and only for finding this forum I would have been left with so many unanswered questions regarding mood swings and also with regard to what necessary drinks to take when my nephews blood level is low.  Do you mind if I keep in touch in the future if I have any more questions to ask.  Many thanks.

SGG,

Sorry for incorrectly saying that you were using the insulin pump.  I was happy to hear that you are using the insulin injection and glad to hear that it works fine with you.  Thank you for replying.
By all means please stay in touch. If I can be of any further assistance I am here for you. It helps to know there are other people who have gone through the same experiences and are ther to help make the situation easier to deal with. I wish I had a sight like this while I was your nephews age. As time goes on I am sure you will have information that can help others as well.
Look forward to hearing from you again soon.