Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Weight Loss for a Type 1 Diabetic
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weight Loss for a Type 1 Diabetic

Hello Everyone,
I just had a quick question concerning weight loss for a Type 1 Diabetic. I have been on Adkins for a month now eating 20 carbs total a day. As a result I am taking a significantly lower dose of Novolog than I use too (I am also on Lantus). I am very close  monitoring my levels when taking in such a low amount of carbs, but even with this close diet I have lost no weight. I have been a diabetic for 8 years and as a result I have gained roughly 30 pounds. I am extremely active working out at least two hours a day and still nothing is working. Please does anyone know anything that has worked in the past for them?
231441_tn?1333896366
Hello.

Are you getting enough calories. Sometimes people won't lose weight if calorie intake is too low.  Body thinks it is in starvation mode and won't lose weight.  I don't know your age or weight, but with 2 hours of vigorous exercise a day, I'd say you should be eating at least 2400 calories/day.  Even while low carb, please be sure to eat plenty of non-starchy and colored vegetables for their nutrition.

Also, get your thyroid checked.   TSH should be ideally in range of 1 - 2. FT3 and FT4 should also be tested and should be at least mid-range or a little above this (bottom of range is not ok).
Hypothyroid is a very common reason for failure to lose weight.  And hypothyroid is more common in persons with diabetes than the regular population.

Third point is to make sure you get enough sleep.  Important for weight loss.  Also please make sure you take at least 1 rest day a week, without working out on that day.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now