Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Weight gain and help to loose it.

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Weight gain and help to loose it.

Type 1 and take a massive prescription of pills for peripheral neuropathy, diclofenac, oxecodone, nortriptyline, duloxitine diazepam  are but a few. I started taking these 3 years ago and in those 3 years my sugarlevels are all over the place and I  hav e gained 3 stone in weight. Exercise is painful and I have muscle weakness. Considered asking for a gastric band to be fitted.  Is it the pills or just that I can no longer walk the distances or swim like I used too.
Hi there!

While increased appetite and weight could be a side effect of the pills, lack of exercise and improper diet can act as a compounding factor. I would suggest seeing a nutritionist for diet modification and consider consulting a physical trainer to design a mild-moderate/ tolerable work-out regimen to suit your needs, before considering other options.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Please consider a low carb diet.  This is the best approach to manage wieght and also control diabetes.  It could also help you avoid lap band.
Please look up the book "diabetes solutions" by Dr. Richard Bernstein.  If you can take his advice on board (he is a type 1 diabetic and nearly 80 years old), it could be of great help to you.