Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Weight gain type 1 diabetes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weight gain type 1 diabetes

Hi, I have recently started using Lantus Solostar and have gained weight. I eat very sensibly and very rarely do I have carbs (mostly salads). I use Novorapid as my quick acting and have low doses of that (10, 6, 8) and 16 Lantus. I have been type 1 diabteic for 26 years (since I was 5) and have not had problems with my weight but in the last 6 weeks have gained 5.1kg I am very active and am finding this hard to deal with. Can anyone shed any light on to what I can do to loose weight as i have tried everything ! I am considering going onto an Insulin pump. Can anyone let me know if they have gone onto the pump and put on weight or if anyone has been able to loose weight when they have gone onto an insulin pump ?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
You don't say what you were using before Lantus. If the change has resulted in better control of your blood sugars, that could be why you are gaining weight. (Assuming, of course, you haven't increased food or decreased exercise). Unfortunately, some type 1's do develop insulin resistance after many years especially if during that time you ate carbs pretty freely and bolused for it. Insulin resistance leads to weight gain. You might talk to your doctor about possibly prescribing something for insulin resistance if he feels that is the problem.

You definitely need to check your thyroid, too, as thyroid disease is very common in type 1's. (unfortunately!)
Blank
Thanks for that Zoelula. I was using Protophane prior to the Lantus and yes, my bsl's are better controlled now than what they were a few months back but the exercise has increased and the food has decreased but I will certainly discuss further with my endocrinologist at my next appointment.

Do you have any comments on the insulin pump ??
Blank
I'm not on a pump, but I have heard without exception, that they lead to better control of blood sugars. As for weight maintenance, I would assume that the ability to more accurately bolus for carbs and correct highs and prevent lows, all would prevent weight gain. (A couple ways: Less lows = less need to treat and risk of overtreating; Plus avoiding the cycle of more insulin to cover more food and needing more insulin, etc.) However, my thoughts are only theory. If you send me a PM I will give you the name of a website with a lot more diabetics and many of them on pumps. There is even a separate pumper's forum. I'm sure you will get some good input there.

One more thing I noticed re-reading your post: Are your Bolus doses fixed? That is definitely not the best way to match carbs to insulin, but an Insulin:Carb ratio leads to a lot more flexibility. If you haven't already read it, get Using Insulin by John Walsh.

And definitely check the thyroid
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1472750_tn?1304727283
Blank
Lira_MHModerator commented on KJ268's status
Aug 25
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on Boys entering puberty...
Aug 24
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Aug 23
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979