Diabetes - Type 1 Community
What are normal glucose levels 1 hour after you start eating?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

I've recently been told I may have Gestational Diabetes.  I am somewhat in denial because when I went for my Glucose Tolerance Test, just before the 1 hour blood drawing, I felt hypoglycemic.  However, that test came back 185 instead of <180, so it was high.

In any case, I've met with a nutritionist & am working on modifying my diet.  I was told to check my glucose levels in the morning (fasting) and 1 hour after the beginning of each meal.  They told me what the levels should be, but I would like a second opinion.  (I havent been able to find info on this on the web - only for 2 hours after eating.)

Also, my levels dont seem to always correlate to what I ate.  They do seem to be raised more easily in the morning, but sometimes even if I eat some dessert in the afternoon or evening, they are very normal.  Does that make any sense?  I also suspect that the ORDER in which I eat my food may be affecting the numbers.  For example, if I eat something sweet FIRST, they are higher.  But, if I eat something sweet AFTER protein, etc, they are normal.  Could this make sense or might it just be timing of the glucose monitoring?  (Not as much time goes by if I eat it last.)

One more quesion. (Sorry) I have read that if you maintain "good numbers" throughout the pregnancy, you can have a normal, vaginal delivery.  What constitutes "good numbers" (like what percentage of your numbers might be high)?

Thank you so much!
v1v1an
v1v1an~ thank you for coming to the Forum and posting your questions. Since gestational diabetes is not my area of expertise, I consulted with one of our specialists who is a Diabetes Educator and deals predominately with mothers who have G.D. This is what she shared with me: She quoted these glucose ranges for me from the most recent edition of the Core Curriculum for Diabetes Educators.

fasting: 60-90
pre meal: 60-105
l hour post prandial: 100-120
2 hours post prandial: 100-120

She said that it's recommended that 90-95% of your readings should be in these target ranges to insure that your baby doesn't put on too much weight and make it difficult for your to deliver vaginally. Ifyour blood sugar levels are higher than these suggested numbers, it's like putting your baby in a sugar bath, if you will. what happens then is, the baby's pancreas reacts to the higher than normal levels by spitting out additional insulin to cover the excess sugar. This increases the baby's weight and is the reason for heavier babies born to mothers with uncontrolled blood sugar levels.

As to your questions about the food and your body's reaction to the carbs, protein, etc., she stated that it's very common for women with G.D. to experience higher blood sugars in the morning because their bodies go into an insulin resistant state during the night. Recommended cutting down on your carbohydrate intake in those morning hours and balancing the morning meal with protein and fat. Adding those items will not only slow your body's processing of the carbohydrates, but it will allow you to feel less hungry between meals, as your food will "stay with you" longer.

When I conveyed your message to her, she said she felt like your doctor was steering you in the right direction and to continue to work with the nutritionist on your meal plan. Both you and your baby will be thankful you did!

Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy ~ please feel free to check in with us should you have any other questions as well as letting us know how you're doing!