Why is my sister in and out of hospital every few weeks?
Hi my sister has been a type 1 diabetic for about 15 years now. In the past 6 months she has been in and out of the hospital every few weeks for  excessive  vomiting and nausea. Sometimes her sugar gets extremely high in the 600's or sometimes it's extremely low she usually ends up in ICU hook her up to an IV so she doesn't dehydrate and regulate her sugar and send her home, but no one ever explains why it keeps happening every few weeks or what she can do to prevent it from happening?
Oh no, so sorry to hear about your sister!  Has she changed any habits or encountered any stress that might cause her sugar's to be so off?  How about her medication, have they tried to adjust that?  How's she doing with monitoring?  If they are not giving you guys any ideas on what's happening, are you able to go to another doctor for another opinion?  
She could have a condition called diabetic gastroparesis. This is where the nerves to the stomach are affected. Some  medications may help along with liquid diet. A cgm (continuous glucose monitor) may be very useful if her insurance can cover it . Best wishes to your sister.
I would suggest looking at what is happening during the time of these blood sugar spikes, for instance, what was she eating, how much insulin was she taking, etc.  My guess is that it would have to do with the amount of carbs and insulin, specifically, too many carbs and too little insulin.