Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Worried About increased Creatinine Level

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Hello

I have been living with Type 1  Diabetes for around many years. My hbaic levels since many years has been below 6.5 sometimes even 5.9.  I had recently suspected an injury (while doing some strength exercises/lifting weights) in the Gymn as I had expereinced a continuos pain in the back after I came back from the Gymn. To rule out any diabetic complications my Dr had asked me to get all my tests done . All the tests were ok --Hbaic was 6.3 , BP was normal, Liver Function tests results were perfectly ok. All of the components of the Kidney Function tests were also normal except that the blood creatinine  levels were a little above normal somewhere arn  1.61  mg/dl.   While my doctor had advised me to go and do the 24 hr creatinine clearance test , I had suspected that the problem may be because of the suspected injury since all the other parts of the KFT were well within range.

So I decided not to go for the test and wait for the pain to ease. After a few days of bedrest the pain in my back was gone and I was back to normal. However the fact that I did not go for the test still sometimes bothers me. Its been around 6 months since the KFT and I even got an hbaic done 3 months ago and it was 6.2 . Could there be a problem or sometimes muscle injuries cause a temporary increase in creatinine levels. Also If indeed there is some problem , can it be rectified with some drug. As I already mentioned I always try to keep my hbaic well below 6.5 which I have read in various places as a measure of good control.

Hi vik_shar!  We are not medical professionals, just volunteers with life experience in dealing with type 1 diabetes.  Any information shared with you should be verified with your healthcare team.  I received the following information from this website:  http://www.medicinenet.com/creatinine_blood_test/article.htm

The normal range for creatinine is .6 - 1.2.  Your result was slightly elevated.  Keep in mind that this test result can be very sensitive to activity.  My daughter's level was increased on her last endocrinologist visit and they are repeating the test as she did not void immediately upon rising in the morning (she was walking around the house for a little while).  We were told that any activity prior to voiding can alter the result.  I am assuming that you are a physically active person since you were injured while lifting weights and the website that I referenced also stated that muscular young to middle aged adults may have more creatinine in their blood than the norm for the general population.  Perhaps this is the case, but in any event, I'm thinking that you should definitely have that test to know for sure.  There's no reason not to.  You don't want to take a chance with something as important as your kidneys.  As soon as you have the test done, then you will know what you're dealing with.  Think positive & good luck!
Creatinine level varys from one to one.
1.61 may be normal in a muscle man.

Muscle injury, high protein diet and dehydration can affect creatinine level.

You should go for another creatinine test and due to you are at risk for kidney injury(Type 1 DM). It is wise to have a 24 hrs creatinine cleaning test.

Good luck.