Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Worried anout problems

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Worried anout problems

I was wondering if you can join the army,navy,military or anything along the lines if you have any type of diabetes what so ever. Could you be drafted if you have diabetes or even have chance of going to the army or anything along those lines? Please be honest and tell me everything you know.
Hello, Savannah.  First of all, there is no draft, so there is no chance of you being drafted, even if you don't have diabetes.

Currently diabetes is an immediate disqualifying factor from induction (draft), appointment (to a military academy), or enlistment, without an approved waiver.  You can apply for a waiver to get in, or even stay in, and people have been successful in that quest.  Troops have developed diabetes after enlisting, and have been successful in getting their waver approved, allowing them to remain in the military.
i think you could choose to do whatever you want, but if you are drafted they would put you in a "easier work area" such as in computers, doctors, or engineering unless you request to be put in a certain place, in that case they can not deny you do to diabetes
You can not go to a combat zone if you are insulin dependant, but you can be in the military with diabetes as long as it is kept under control. if not, it can be grounds for medical discharge.
As a Type 1, I was classified 1Y in the 60's (office work), but that soon was changed to 4F (not able to serve in  any capacity). I do not expect that with, or without, a draft, any diabetic will have an easy time getting in to the military if they choose to try. And  involuntary draft is very unlikely (at least for us).
Markiea, that's not true any more.  dLife profiled a sergeant who developed diabetes after enlisting, and who is currently in Iraq.  They wouldn't let him wear his pump, he had to do shots, but he is there.

Waivers for diabetes have been granted, but they are few and far between.
If a person has diabetes that is already diagnosed,it is very unlikely for any branch of military to accept that person. But if diabetes is diagnosed after already being in the military, the situations are handled on a case-by-case basis, as far as I know. My husband is an Air Force personnel officer, and this is what he told me about the Air Force.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
okooloyun commented on Portion Distortion: H...
Jul 04
MH Community Mgr commented on 13 weeks 2 days scare...
Jun 30
dontworry_behappy1 commented on jules2551's status
Jun 29