Diabetes - Type 1 Community
adderall and diabetes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

adderall and diabetes

My son has type 1 diabetes and has  add. He is already taking strattera and his doctor just prescribed adderall (adderrall) to take also.  The pharmacist questioned the need for two medications of this type for him.  He is 15 and only weighs about 135 pounds. One of the side effects I understand is loss of appetite. As a diabetic his diet is very important and has already lost a lot of weight due to the diabetes. My question is, is this drug a good choice for him?
                                                                                               marilyn
What does his endo say? does he have one? If he is loosing weight from the diabetes, his blood glucose is probably high. Weight loss from diabetes means the body is being forced to burn fat rather than carbohydrates. As a result, glucose builds up in the bloodstream doing irreparable damage to his cardiovascular system.

As a 25 year old, type 1 diabetic, who takes Adderall (adderrall) for ADHD, I would more than anything recommend that you do not put your child on Adderall (adderrall). If your son is having trouble in school, it's probably because he feels like ****. I say this because I know, I have known since I was 7.

Get him an insulin pump and a good doctor. Get training and read everything you can about Type 1 and the metabolism

Adderall (adderrall) constricts the blood vessels, causing an increase in blood pressure and a decrease in circulation. Both can severely increase the health risks already imposed by the diabetes.

Take care, best of luck.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
mishymoshymarcy commented on need a title -
Feb 08
AnnieBrooke commented on need a title -
Feb 08
need a title -
Feb 08 by Nighthawk61