Diabetes - Type 1 Community
adderall and diabetes

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

adderall and diabetes

My son has type 1 diabetes and has  add. He is already taking strattera and his doctor just prescribed adderall (adderrall) to take also.  The pharmacist questioned the need for two medications of this type for him.  He is 15 and only weighs about 135 pounds. One of the side effects I understand is loss of appetite. As a diabetic his diet is very important and has already lost a lot of weight due to the diabetes. My question is, is this drug a good choice for him?
                                                                                               marilyn
Avatar n tn
What does his endo say? does he have one? If he is loosing weight from the diabetes, his blood glucose is probably high. Weight loss from diabetes means the body is being forced to burn fat rather than carbohydrates. As a result, glucose builds up in the bloodstream doing irreparable damage to his cardiovascular system.

As a 25 year old, type 1 diabetic, who takes Adderall (adderrall) for ADHD, I would more than anything recommend that you do not put your child on Adderall (adderrall). If your son is having trouble in school, it's probably because he feels like ****. I say this because I know, I have known since I was 7.

Get him an insulin pump and a good doctor. Get training and read everything you can about Type 1 and the metabolism

Adderall (adderrall) constricts the blood vessels, causing an increase in blood pressure and a decrease in circulation. Both can severely increase the health risks already imposed by the diabetes.

Take care, best of luck.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
Jun 24
Avatar n tn
BatShevaSida commented on ANXIETY ATTACKS / INS...
Jun 11
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
May 26