Diabetes - Type 1 Community
alcohol

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

alcohol

im diebetes1 what is the safe amount of alcohol ican drink i inject twice aday
Many doctors try to encourage type 1 patients to not drink more than 1 drink at a sitting. I personally opt to avoid alcohol in order to avoid having to do the adjustments that are necessary when imbibing.Many diabetic people who do drink offer several cautions, and I will try to hit upon some of them.

First, type 1 diabetic people truly should never drink so much that they are 'drunk' -- not in full command of their senses and reactions. The danger is that alcohol inhibits the liver's ability to release its emergency sugars, so if the person is low, he or she may not be able to help himself. And of course, others will just see the slurred speech or sleepiness as the result of too much alcohol and may not realize that serious hypoglycemia is happening. From what I have read on the subject, the danger continues through the night (most people drink in the evenings), for the alcohol sometimes causes sugar levels to drop and of course the liver is not able to respond to dump emergency sugars, so while you sleep it off, you may get in serious trouble.

Below is a link about studies that support what I have written about alcohol's effect on type 1 diabetic people:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15460663&dopt=Abstract

A website by the Mayo CLinic offers the following advice concerning alcohol:
'Alcohol. Even a small amount of alcohol
No one is going to say yeah go ahead and get drunk all the time. But the fact is you most likely will. Most people will argue with the following, but if you have good control I believe you can drink and have fun just like your peers. Just remember to be careful and that drinking is bad for everyone. Remember that if you go low when your drunk you have to eat something and your liver isnt going to save you.  Alcohol effects everyone differently (depending on how much glucose your liver releases and a lot of other factors) so this is just my experience.

I have type 1 and I