Diabetes - Type 1 Community
bad breath caused by diabetes??

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

bad breath caused by diabetes??

i have a close family member who has been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. One problem that they have is getting a really dry throat at which point the breath gets really smelly. We were told by a doctor that this is common among diabetics but tthey never told us what we could do about it. This is affecting their self confidence and i was wondering if there are any suggestions?
Avatar n tn
Hi bigdaddy,
If a person's blood sugar is high, it can lead to the production of ketones, which can indeed result in bad breath. This was also an issue for all those high-protein Zone dieters; that extreme diet would also lead to ketone production.

I'm not a doc, just the mom of a diabetic, but from my understanding, the best way to control the bad breath is to control the blood sugar. If he/she gets the blood sugars lower, that ought to help with the breath.

I hope it gets better.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
May 26
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
May 25
MH Community Mgr is enjoying warm weather th... Comment
May 23