bad breath caused by diabetes??
i have a close family member who has been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. One problem that they have is getting a really dry throat at which point the breath gets really smelly. We were told by a doctor that this is common among diabetics but tthey never told us what we could do about it. This is affecting their self confidence and i was wondering if there are any suggestions?
Hi bigdaddy,
If a person's blood sugar is high, it can lead to the production of ketones, which can indeed result in bad breath. This was also an issue for all those high-protein Zone dieters; that extreme diet would also lead to ketone production.

I'm not a doc, just the mom of a diabetic, but from my understanding, the best way to control the bad breath is to control the blood sugar. If he/she gets the blood sugars lower, that ought to help with the breath.

I hope it gets better.