Diabetes - Type 1 Community
blood glucose after eating candy

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

blood glucose after eating candy

I am a type two diabetic. I check the blood glucose levels of my four year old son with my meter often. The levels have always been good. The other night however he ate a lot of his Halloween candy and I check his sugar a couple of hours after he had eaten it and his BG level was 159. This really worried me because his sugar levels had never been this high. I checked again in thirty minutes and it was 133. I checked it again in two hours and it was 106. I checked it the next morning and it was 95. The following night after dinner it was 106 and tody after eating a pancake with syrup for breakfast, and drinking a juice box and eating some other carbs his sugar level was 105. Would a lot of candy cause sugar levels to go up to 159 in a non-diabetic? He hasn't been urinating more than usual and not excessively thirsty. I am just so afraid of him having to go through the insulin shots.
Hi Enniesmom!  Please don't make any assumptions about your son having diabetes.  I realize, as the mom of a diabetic child, that you are concerned and scared for your son.  Please don't pass this fear on to him.  We cannot diagnose here at Medhelp because we are not medical professionals.  If you want absolute confirmation you need to have his pediatrician run some blood work.  Please remember that non-diabetic people's blood sugars do fluctuate up and down depending on what they eat, but the difference is that their pancreas produces enough insulin to bring the level back within a normal range.  A good way to keep your young son healthy is to make sure that he maintains a healthy diet full of fresh fruits & veggies, whole grains & low fat dairy and see that he gets daily exercise (for a 4 year old that's just playing outside instead of sitting in front of the TV!).  We paid my daughter for her Halloween candy (kept a little & threw the rest out!).  Good luck to you!
Thank you for your help. I have scheduled an appointment for a well-child check-up with my son's pedatrician for the day after Thanksgiving. I have checked his sugar a few times since my last post and all the levels have been in the normal range. I think I am going to lay off pricking his fingers (he hates it). And keep a close watch on him. I have also instructed his grandparents not to fill him up on cookies, candies and other carbs when he goes to their house. I may have gotten carried away. He is our only child and the light of our lives. I guess sometimes we can be overprotective of the things we hold so dear. Thanks again for your help.
I understand completely.  I am a Type II also.  Occasionally I will check my kids blood sugar if they are acting strange.  A few months ago my 15-year old son passed out for reason - just crumpled to the floor while standing in the kitchen.  I grabbed my glucose meter and checked - he was around 115 (looking back I probably just caught it as it was crashing).  Last month my son and I came back from a family birthday party (cake, ice cream, pizza) and my son went into his room.  He grabbed a Mountain Dew and took *ONE* swallow.  He said he was really dizzy and getting tired.  I grabbed my glucose meter - he was a 262.

Me doesn't urinate frequently but is constantly hungry and thirsty (hey, he's 15!).  I just saw an endocrinologist with him this afternoon.  I would suggest you talk to your son's pediatrician and ask his/her opinion.  My son's pediatrician agreed, 262 was scary - we got a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist.  Today we met with him and he said to just monitor the glucose levels and maintain a good diet.  Come back either in two months for another A1C (his was 5.1) to see if there is any progression.  However, if we get more than 2-3 readings of over 220 get in immediately.  We are all sure my son is in the early stages of Type I but his pancreas is still hanging in there.  Nothing will slow it down or speed it up, we just have to be ready when it gives into the diabetes.

I haven't dealt personally with Type I before.  My entire family is Type II.  These are two completely different diseases.  I do know that is is GOOD that your son's glucose levels dropped to normal so soon and stayed there (mine will dip into the 70s). Talk to your pediatrician and see if it is a concern or if (like me) you're just very cautious because you are living with it too.
My 6 year old daughter asked my sister-in-law to sick her finger with her meter,  (as crazy as that sounds) she always wants to do something weird. Her number for the blood sugar was 262, now this was after a day at the lake with alot of juice boxsand snack consumption, but today when she woke up it was 220. What should I do!
You should make an appointment for  her to see her doctor right away. That is a very high reading. If, before she gets into see the doctor she becomes ill and vomits, then you should take her to the ER. But if you tell the doctor the reading he should be able to see her quickly.
I am hypoglycemic. For the past few weeks I have eaten nothing but sugar packets. Thanks to Halloween I have candy but my blood sugar continues to drop so quick. It use to 2 hours before my blood sugar drops now it is every 30 minutes. Candy nor sugar is keeping it up. I live off $7/mo. Any advice?
Are you diabetic / taking diabetes medicine?
Are you testing your blood sugars?
How low is low?
If you are  not taking diabetics medicine, you need to see a dr.
This could be caused by overproduction of insulin and does need medical attention.