Diabetes - Type 1 Community
body sweat bad oder

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

body sweat bad oder

i am not sure what is the cause, but my husband age 63 after exercising has a very foul oder to his sweat. it is not just a sweaty smell but a very bad oder? thank you
This is a perplexing problem that would probably be best taken care of by a doctor. Most body odor is caused by bacteria in the sweat, and how much diet or other things can play into this i don't know. But i do have an artificial leg which is held on with plastic/rubber sheath and this causes my leg to sweat above normal. They have a spray that i can apply to kill the odor causing bacteria. Perhaps there is some general type solution like this. There may be medications or dietary changes that may help. i know how bad the problem can be and before i found my solution i was embarrassed to take my artificial leg off in front of my wife. Hope your doctor can help. good luck, bret
BL has the right answer, in my opinion, too.

Also, be sure your hubby checks his blood sugar before/after excercising to make sure it's not some ketone-induced odor you're smelling.

It may sound silly, but is he wearing clean clothes when he exercises?
Bacteria of course can cause an odor, as the folks who have commented here have written, but I want to also tell you of another possible cause for a bad odor. If the odor is sort of "coppery" it can be due to ketones. Keytones can cause a coppery odor to be present in athletes after strenuous exercise or in a diabetic if the body is very low in glucose and starts to burn off fat cells for energy (this use of the fat cells is what causes the coppery odor). In any event, in diabetics it can be caused by long and strenuous exercice or by prolonged hypoglycemia or by prolonged HIGH blood sugar (whereby the body also starts to use fat cells for energy because the lack of insulin in the body prevents the glucose that is in the bloodstream from being used for energy. I would definitely talk to his doctor about this, so all possible causes can be checked out to make sure all is well and that he is healthy.
I am a massage therapist. I have worked on marathon runners. I got to work on the first and second place runners in a 25 miler right after the run. The smell from their bodies, including their feet, was almost sweet. I was amazed. They have highly efficient metabolisms from proper training which in include their diet. As the more haggard and stressed stranglers came in,  their smells got worse. If we don’t totally and cleanly combust all our fuel, the excretions like sweat are fouled, just as they are in automobiles. Some thing to think about.
I also have a odor when i sweat i`m diebetic (diabetic),being a diebetic (diabetic) you sweat if your sugar is high or low..I also have other things wrong with me but any how I am disabled and cant excersize im on oxygen.i have asked a nurse and she said its from all the medicine i take when i sweat its like thick water.but I just think God everytime I open my eves in the morning to let me have 1 more day.always remember God never gives us more than we can handle
                                      marsha
I am 61 years old and NEVER have had body oder, but about 3 weeks ago I began to smell just terrible under my arms, WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON WITH ME ?????

KATIE
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
alp1944 added the Diabetes Tracker
Jul 30
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Jul 23
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Jul 23