Diabetes - Type 1 Community
carbs and banannas

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

carbs and banannas

Hi all wanted to introduce myself Im a mother of 4 children and im suffering from fibromyalgia. Well just recently we took my 7 yr old dd to dr for well check up and i had them test her for diabetes. She had been drinking lots of water and constantly peeing. Her blood sugar was at 345 so we had to take her to rileys hospital in indianapolis. She was started on humalog and latus. And for the most part we have her sugar under control now. im just worried about the stress of our home environment affecting her sugars. My son age 12 has adhd and odd and mood disorder and trys to be very controling and violent so im worried this is going to throw her sugars off quite a bit once the summer is over and he is home all the time for school instead of staying with grandparents ect. my question is about the carbs in bannans. I read the a 4oz small bananna has 15 grams of carbs. I weighed a bannana that looked to be of average size and it weighed 6oz so then i took the peel off since ya don't eat it and it was around 3 oz so im confused on what to go off of and exactly how many carbs are in a bannana. Thanks for info in advance. chreey
First off, great job as a parent for doing your best to understand and control your daughters sugars.  Keeping them under control is the best chance for a long life. As for the bananas, the size is going to vary no matter how hard you try to make sure they are always the same size it is still almost impossible to get them the same everytime.  I have always been taught that you should go with the average carb ratio in foods, so for a 3 oz banana the carbs are roughly the same amount that they would be for a 4 oz.  Maybe scheduling an appointment with a nutritionist will also aid in you ability to better deal and understand with such food issues.  
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Feb 07
MH Community Mgr commented on mommy52's status
Feb 04
Feb 04