Diabetes - Type 1 Community
child with blood sugar levels of 269

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

child with blood sugar levels of 269

we have been noticing my son has been peeing a lot.  Sometimes he cant even make it to the  bathroom in time.. He is also using pull ups at night still because he keeps wetting the bed.  Most nights he is peeing right threw his pull up.  My dad who is a diabetic said he was a little worried and to have him come over and he will check his blood sugar.  It was 249 about 2.5 hours after eating.  He gave us a glucose monitor and he have been checking it regularly.  Some times it gets about 110 and then other times it will spike.  The highest its been so far is 269.  I have no idea what this means.  Im so new to all of this.  Is this normal?  I called the pedi and they told me to keep a log and call them in a few days.  Does this sound like Juvenile diabetes?
Chances are he will prove to be Type 1 diabetic.  269 is way too high 2-1/2 hours after eating.  Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease - different than adult-onset type 2 diabetes.  As the doctor said, keep track of his blood sugar for a few days and call in the results.  And they will tell you what to do from there.  

Maybe ask the doctor about the connection between gluten (found in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats), cow's milk products and type 1 diabetes.  I've read that these foods can in some cases be the cause of type 1 diabetes - but definitely not always - just sometimes.  

Hang in there!   Hope this helps.

I think I would get into a specialist ASAP instead of waiting one the Ped just to be on the safe side. If you cannot get in right away, still go see you Ped but keep your specialist appt for sure. I definitely think his blood sugar is too high going from the sounds of your comments. Make sure you take his blood sugar before he eats to get an accurate reading, always use an alcohol wipe to clean the area before testing as any food or substance on the testing could cause a higher reading if not clean, and test before meals and just before bed would be my opinion.
Take care, K