Diabetes - Type 1 Community
constantly out of breath

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

constantly out of breath

i am using u500 insulin to help control my high blood sugars and am getting out of breath rather easily. Do you think it may be something wrong with my heart?
Clay,

It would be difficult for me to tell based upon the little information you have given. Also, you mentioned that you are taking 500 units of Insulin.  That tells me that you either have made an error in your dosing or you are really not a Diabetic. No one takes 500units of Insulin in one dose. I am a considered a brittle Diabetic and I only use about 300 units every 3-4 days. Maybe that's why you are out of breath, lol. You would actually die if you took that much Insulin at once.

Anyway, assuming you are just one of those people who really don't like or care to know about your health and medications, I will attempt to answer your question. Given the fact that I don't know how much you weigh and how tall you are, I will just assume you are overweight. If you are out of breath it could be many things.  Heart Disease, Heart failure, COPD, Pneumonia and probaly a host of others.  It also could and more likely is poor conditioning.  My suggestion to you.  As being out of breath or short of breath can be a serious situation, I would go to a qualified Physician and have this evaluated asap. If it is real bad, you might consider going to your nearest emergency room.  Hope this helps you.
I am taking 13 unit humalog for each meal and 23 unit Levemir at at bed time. But I am having shortness of breath some times after taking insulin, or walking. Please help me