Diabetes - Type 1 Community
cord blood storage benefits for father with type 1 diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My partner has type 1 diabetes.  He and I are expecting a baby and I was wondering what, if any, potential benefits there might be for him in storing our infant's cord blood.  I was also wondering if I should consider these benefits, if they exist, while choosing a cord blood storage service in case storage methods vary.  I have only just started researching (we are in the first tri)and it seems there are many outfits offering this service.  I'm not sure how to evaluate them yet.  

thanks,
Catherine
Wow, that's a very good question, and one that is coming up more and more, as cord blood storage becomes popular.

Speaking as the parent of a diabetic, not a doctor or researcher, there is no current benefit to storing the cord blood, at least in terms of diabetes. There may never be a benefit.... but then again, there might. It will come down to an educated guess, and you'll have to decide if the hope of benefit someday is worth the cost.

As for how to evaluate the services, I can't be of much help there, but you should find loads of information via Google. It's a hot topic now.

Congratulations on the baby, and good luck as you progress!
I am a type 1 diabetic for 26 years--I had two children and with the second baby I decided to store the cord blood.  I went with Cbr Cord blood registry, www.cordblood.com
It was not too complicated-they sent us this packet that had all the instructions and the storage receptacle and my husband and my obgyn did what needed to be done and then sent the material and package to the company. You obgyn should be pretty informed about the procedure which is becoming more and more standard. Cbr answered all of my questions.  It cost 1,500.00 and every year we pay 99.00 for storage.  I am very glad that I did it.  My endocronologist seems to think it was a very smart idea too.  
I don't think there is anything concrete yet as to all of the benifits, as above mentioned in the other answer, but I think there is a good possibility of many benefits in the future.  Also, there can be no arguments with these cells,as with stem cell research, because it came from the cord blood. I felt that I wanted to make sure I covered every angle-just in case one of my children developed diabetes or anything else for that matter that could be helped by saving the cord blood.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 13 in 1993. I had my first child at age 23 and my second child 23 months later. I used Cord Blood Registry with both of my deliveries and even though it is not 100% that I can ever use it to help cure my diabetes I feel so much better having done it. It is alot of money to fork out at the begining but if you get started now you can have it paid for before the due date and have peace of mind that at least you are preparing for the possiblity that your childs cord blood could cure you. What an AWESOME thought huh? :)