Diabetes - Type 1 Community
could it be a virus or diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

could it be a virus or diabetes?

my 18 month old son has developed a rash, in the family is childhood diabetes on my husbands side, my main reason of concern is my brother in law developed a rash and it was diagnosed as a virus which is what i was told by my gp with my son but turned out that my brother in law had diabetes. what are the chances of the same being with my son?
Tags: irritable
A rash is not a typical symptom of diabetes. So a rash alone, or a virus, would not typically be connected to diabetes. However, in people with the genetic predisposition to developing diabetes, certain viruses sometimes "trigger" the autoimmune system to over-react and not only battle the virus, but then to proceed to destroy the pancreas' insulin-producing cells as well. This is what is thought to be the cause of type 1 diabetes.

That being said, you should look for the typical symptoms: abnormal thirst, going to the bathroom a lot because of drinking abnormal amounts of liquids to quench that thirst, hunger that is uncommon, weight loss despite eating a lot, fatigue, and irritability. If these are present, then ask his doctor to check his blood sugar levels, for a simple blood test is the real answer.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Lira_MHModerator commented on KeeLolo's status
Apr 25
dontworry_behappy1 ........Ooo, ooo don't worr... Comment
Apr 24
MH Community Mgr commented on msniki412's status
Apr 24