Diabetes - Type 1 Community
could it be a virus or diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

could it be a virus or diabetes?

my 18 month old son has developed a rash, in the family is childhood diabetes on my husbands side, my main reason of concern is my brother in law developed a rash and it was diagnosed as a virus which is what i was told by my gp with my son but turned out that my brother in law had diabetes. what are the chances of the same being with my son?
Tags: irritable
A rash is not a typical symptom of diabetes. So a rash alone, or a virus, would not typically be connected to diabetes. However, in people with the genetic predisposition to developing diabetes, certain viruses sometimes "trigger" the autoimmune system to over-react and not only battle the virus, but then to proceed to destroy the pancreas' insulin-producing cells as well. This is what is thought to be the cause of type 1 diabetes.

That being said, you should look for the typical symptoms: abnormal thirst, going to the bathroom a lot because of drinking abnormal amounts of liquids to quench that thirst, hunger that is uncommon, weight loss despite eating a lot, fatigue, and irritability. If these are present, then ask his doctor to check his blood sugar levels, for a simple blood test is the real answer.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Tuckamore commented on photo
Aug 30
specialmom commented on photo
Aug 30
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Aug 30