Diabetes - Type 1 Community
coumadin and blood sugar
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

coumadin and blood sugar

I have been put on blood thinner for life...following a deer attack 15 months ago, still have a clogged artery and damaged vein in my leg where the antler went completely through the right leg. I had a few episodes of blood clots in the leg, and have been put on coumadin permanently, 12.5 mg daily. My blood sugar has been tough to stabilize (goes too high too often) About the same time, I was put on the new diabetic drug "Januvia". I take insulin daily, sometimes have to take Humulin R to knock down from 400's. Any correlation to high sugars with any of these drugs?
Tags: humulin
Hi!  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  I first want to say, 'Ouch!'  I can't imagine just how much that hurt.  I hope you're doing well.

One of the things that doctors are finding that happens when you have other medical issues is that your blood sugars rise, whether you are diabetic or not.  This apparently occurs because of how the body reacts to the issue.  That reaction has gone away when the medical issue gets better.  That being said, many drugs have carbs in them (too bad they aren't required to have a nutrition label!!), and unless you adjust your insulin dose for those carbs, that can also make your blood sugars rise.  With simple antibiotics, for example, we add in 5 grams of carbs per teaspoon of medicine.  You may want to work with your doctor to figure out the carbs in the medicines you are taking.  Bringing down your blood sugar will help your body heal faster, so the more you can do on that front, the better off you'll be.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1472750_tn?1304727283
Blank
Lira_MHModerator commented on KJ268's status
Aug 25
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on Boys entering puberty...
Aug 24
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Aug 23
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979