Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetes - my aggression

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

diabetes - my aggression

im 25 years old and suffer from insulin dependent diabetes. i am normally a calm person and lovely to be around. when my sugar levels are extremely hgh i go into fits of rage and aggression. i have a tendency of throwing things at people as a result of the anger. im on novarapid and lantus. i have also had many hypoglaecemic seizures in which i could not move for few hours and had to be fed lucozade. the worrying thing for me is that im causing damage to myself as a result of this aggressive behaviour. what is causing me to be so angry and aggressive? im deeply concerned about this please respond, thank you
barry
Tags: irritable
Hi.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  High blood sugars cause people to be more irritable and short tempered.  I can tell within a few minutes whether or not my daughter is high after school just by observing her behavior.  It's a typical and common reaction to a medical condition.

My suggestion for you would be to test your blood sugar more often, which would allow you to prevent those highs and lows through corrections, and therefore reducing the anger and aggression as well as the seizures.  You could also look at getting a continuous glucose monitor, which is a device that is inserted under your skin and tests your blood sugar automatically every 5 minutes throughout the day, allowing you even better control over your diabetes.  That's more expensive, but it is paying huge dividends for everyone I know using one.  There are currently two models on the market that I know of, one by MiniMed and one by DexCom.  Contact your endocrinologist to find out more information.  Good luck.
I'm the mom of a 24 year old type 1, and while he is not a thrower, he certainly is more irritable than the average bear when his blood sugar is high.  You are not alone!  the extra testing is a good suggestion  in the above comment, but also check with your endocrinologist about things like high blood pressure.  My son is also on a low dose of effexor which is usually used to treat depression, but I think it helps protect him emotionally from the ravages of highs and lows.  This is a disease that affects every cell in your body even when it is in good control.  A great magazine is the Diabetes Forecast.  It addresses type 2 issues too, but many of the letters to the editors are from type 1s.  One comment from a type 1 was that when her blood sugar was too high or too low she couldn't make any decisions--which as a  mom I try to avoid any big discussions if I know my son's glucose is out of whack.
Keep trying to figure it out.  You are your best advocate, keep asking those questions.