Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetes and the army.

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

diabetes and the army.

Hi my name is Richard i was a ausralian army cadet I think people with diabetes SHOULD go in the army maybe dont as flying or not as a full time soilder BUT maybe as a (in the army) health care, driver, machanic, medical officer, communication systems operator and maybe some more also as a soilder but has to stay at the base however i also fund out there is 200.000 diabetes in australia and 50% or more diabetes want to go in the australia defence force thats 100.000 people in the army WOW but the medication that we take is well what we take the army can get in all this medication but not just 2 more type 1 diabetes medication's i think now the australian army is nothink but ******** people are dieing here and there they need more people.. so.. let people with diabetes in the army. but also they dont see people with diabetes are healthy and got lots in them  but also things are changing all the time in the army and if the army just looks a little more harder they will see that people who have type 1 diabetes with good control and good blood control really that is as best as rain if some 1 can tell them i know they will start thinking. a man is a man!
Well the US doesnt allow this.  In a time of war, where you are in the middle of nowhere, they can not always ensure you get the medicine and supplies needed to stay alive, and going without them is a horrible way to die.  They usually look at the bigger picture in a time of need you may have a low blood sugar and be unable to fullfill the job needing to be done.  And for the most part type 1 diabetics are healthy, but it is an immune disease and therefore makes you more susceptible to other diseases and illnesses, thus in a larger view of things makes you unhealthy.  I totally understand your frustrtion in this situation, but they have to look out for the army as a whole, verses one individual.