Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetes due to pancreas damaged during hysterectomy

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

I had total laprascopic hysterectomy. I have had no other medical issues before this procedure. after my hysterectomy I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes which we figured out I am definately Type1. No family history of diabetes. I just gradually over the following year dropped 37 lbs, became so weak I couldn"t even climb stairs and my vision was worsening by the day. I have since heard that there is a piece of your pancreas, that if it is snipped the result is diabetes. My pancreas has been worthless, as my Endochronologist says "my pancreas is DEAD" Could this be from the hysterectomy? Could something have been done that caused my pancreas to die off after my hysterectomy?

the location of the pancreas is very far from the uterus.  I am sure that they did not touch the pancreas during the surgery.

Type 1 Diabetes is autoimmune.  Autoimmune attacks can result from many things.  Maybe the stress of the surgery triggered something, or maybe it was completely unrelated.

The thing to do is to manage your diabetes well to prevent complications.
Hi there!

The plane of hysterectomy is far from the pancreas and a hysterectomy is unlikely to have resulted in any lesion of the pancreas. It is likely to be just a coincidence that you have developed symptoms post your hysterectomy. Diabetes is a chronic disease and complications are unlikely to develop over a few weeks or months and alternative possibilities to the cause of your symptoms may need to be considered. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!