Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetes(/gum)?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

diabetes(/gum)?

For starters, the title is diabetes(/gum)? because I have a question about both. For starters, is gum good for your throat? (long story, but I figured I should get a professional opinion about this. Someone I know said so, but someone else said naah. Secondly, I've been having eye pain, sometimes I get really thirsty (usually when I eat a lot of sugar) right now I have the runs or some kind of cold where I get sick. I have trouble sleeping, (:\) and my neck and back hurt ( from knots that could be unrelated, though. Not sure.) My weight also fluxes a lot, as in it goes down, then up by strangely odd number. The highest was 15 pounds lighter in 3 days, and then gained more of it back, then some of it went away, and so on and so on. I've been tested for diabetes and it was negative, but I wonder if the fact that the power was out in the doctor's office could have effected him seeing any traces of glucose in my urine sample. If not, then what else could these be symptoms of??
-futuredoctor101
The folks who monitor this particular forum are not physicians, but are volunteers who are either type 1 diabetics or are parents of type 1 children. We answer from our own experience or from reading lots of literature about type 1 diabetes.

As far as gum is concerned, I don't know that it has any affect on your throat at all. The folks on this forum would have no knowledge of good or bad concerning gum. I hope you are chewing sugar-free gum, though. My brother is a dentist and dental school teacher and he has told me that sugary gum is very bad for your teeth.

As for your question about diabetes, I wonder why a doctor is using a urine test instead of a blood test to diagnose. If I were you I would request a glucose tolerance test as well as a fasting glucose test. These will show if you have diabetes for sure, and they may also show if you have hypoglycemia.
-6 Comments Post a Comment
I have read that chewing (sugarless) gum is good for diabetic...uh "gum" care and teeth. The reasoning is that the gum chewing stimulates saliva which is intrinsically good for mouth health.  

My brand is Wrigley's Extra Wintergreen. Lasts an extra long time, don'tcha know? Seriously, it does.
haha I love extra!! Polar ice is my favorite.