Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetes in the Military

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

diabetes in the Military

I am active duty in the military and was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  I have avoided going to medical because I am afraid my military career may be over due to the diagnosis.  And I don't want to ask too many questions on base for the same reason.  Does anyone know what I can expect?  Am I going to be medically discharged automatically?  Has anyone gone through the same?
Thanks!
Avatar n tn
Dear Sir,
     You can very well expect to  be discharged from the military for type 1 diabetes. i was 31 years ago. The reasoning was that they didn't think they could guarantee getting you insulin and other diabetic suppilies during a wartime situation.     You will get excellent care from the VA after your discharge. i have the greatest rspect for the help i've received, though i read a lot of books and papers i get from the National Institute of Health, www.NIH.gov. But i do recommrnd you seek medical help as soon a possible or else it can only get worse. In the VA system i'm one of the few type 1 diabetics and on a insulin pump, which is kind of a rare thing in the VA. Good luck and i hope you get the professional care i've received from them. Good luck, bret
Hey do not give up.All you have to do is prove to the army that your not a liability to yourself or your fellow soldiers.Trust me do whatever you have to do to make them believe you are combat worthy. If you need proof look up SFC.Mark Thompson's story.I did and he is a hero to me no matter what.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr is excited that she already... Comment
1 hr ago
leesymiller added the Addiction Recovery Tracker
Jun 28
senseanonymous  commented on photo
Jun 28