Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetes in the Military
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

diabetes in the Military

I am active duty in the military and was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  I have avoided going to medical because I am afraid my military career may be over due to the diagnosis.  And I don't want to ask too many questions on base for the same reason.  Does anyone know what I can expect?  Am I going to be medically discharged automatically?  Has anyone gone through the same?
Thanks!
Related Discussions
Dear Sir,
     You can very well expect to  be discharged from the military for type 1 diabetes. i was 31 years ago. The reasoning was that they didn't think they could guarantee getting you insulin and other diabetic suppilies during a wartime situation.     You will get excellent care from the VA after your discharge. i have the greatest rspect for the help i've received, though i read a lot of books and papers i get from the National Institute of Health, www.NIH.gov. But i do recommrnd you seek medical help as soon a possible or else it can only get worse. In the VA system i'm one of the few type 1 diabetics and on a insulin pump, which is kind of a rare thing in the VA. Good luck and i hope you get the professional care i've received from them. Good luck, bret
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
777075_tn?1235618300
Hey do not give up.All you have to do is prove to the army that your not a liability to yourself or your fellow soldiers.Trust me do whatever you have to do to make them believe you are combat worthy. If you need proof look up SFC.Mark Thompson's story.I did and he is a hero to me no matter what.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now