diabetes in the Military
I am active duty in the military and was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  I have avoided going to medical because I am afraid my military career may be over due to the diagnosis.  And I don't want to ask too many questions on base for the same reason.  Does anyone know what I can expect?  Am I going to be medically discharged automatically?  Has anyone gone through the same?
Thanks!
Dear Sir,
     You can very well expect to  be discharged from the military for type 1 diabetes. i was 31 years ago. The reasoning was that they didn't think they could guarantee getting you insulin and other diabetic suppilies during a wartime situation.     You will get excellent care from the VA after your discharge. i have the greatest rspect for the help i've received, though i read a lot of books and papers i get from the National Institute of Health, www.NIH.gov. But i do recommrnd you seek medical help as soon a possible or else it can only get worse. In the VA system i'm one of the few type 1 diabetics and on a insulin pump, which is kind of a rare thing in the VA. Good luck and i hope you get the professional care i've received from them. Good luck, bret
Hey do not give up.All you have to do is prove to the army that your not a liability to yourself or your fellow soldiers.Trust me do whatever you have to do to make them believe you are combat worthy. If you need proof look up SFC.Mark Thompson's story.I did and he is a hero to me no matter what.