Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetic coma

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

diabetic coma

Came home the other day after being in a diabetic coma for 5 days,bg was 2,500.00 when brought into er,Now I notice I'm more sensitive to my novolog insulin,Is this normal?Also what is the highest bg have you heard of and a person survived with no severe damage?I just have a moderate loss in my motor skills.
i am not a physican, but the mom opf a type 1 disabetic.  Unfortunately  i am not able to answer your uestion,  i would suggest that you call your endocronologist in the moring with your concer. they would be the best to answer your questions and help you move on.
I have noticed that when glucose levels are high, it takes a little higher of an insulin/carb ratio for me to bring them down than when they are normal. I think what you are noticing is that your body is just working better with glucose levels probably normalized while you were in the hospital, and it may be taking less insulin to cause glucose levels to change than when your glucose was astronomically high. Another possibility is that you may have lost weight while in the coma (probably DID lose weight) -- fat cells are insulin-resistant, and so if you have less of them, it will take less insulin for your body to react than it did when there was more fat. This is true even if you are not overweight. Weight loss tends to make anybody more sensitive to insulin.

Do discuss your fears with your doctor. In order to live a healthy life as a type 1 diabetic, you and your doctor need to become PARTNERS in your health care.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr commented on 13 weeks 2 days scare...
Jun 30
dontworry_behappy1 commented on jules2551's status
Jun 29
dontworry_behappy1 commented on nan535's status
Jun 24