Diabetes - Type 1 Community
diabetic type 1, any tips on loosing some weight for my wedding day

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

im 22, ive been diabetic for the last 10 years and my weight has always gone up and down. but i really want/ need to loose some weight.
my weight is currently at 175 pounds but i want to get that right down to just over 10 and a half stone. My wedding is next year, and i really would love some advice or meal tip/ excercise plans which other diabetic people have used and have worked.
I'm sure if i could control my cravings i can do it.
The same things that work for non-diabetics trying to lose weight work for diabetics. Reduce caloric intake and increase exercise. Many of us believe in low carb eating and the lower carb you eat you will also lose weight. Be sure if you do this to reduce your insulin intake as it will also lower your blood sugar. Obviously lowering fat intake will also help lose weight and you will have to eat a lot more vegies, salads, and more lean meat (skinless chicken or fish) to compensate. If you want to talk with  more Type 1's who are looking to lose weight send me a private message and I'll give you a website.
Oh, and definitely do not consider withholding insulin to lose weight if you hear about that anywhere. That is called diabulimia and is an eating disorder and a VERY bad idea (you can end up in DKA in the hospital) I'm glad to hear your wedding is next year and you have time to do it slowly though I don't know how much less 10 and a half stone is!
EAT SMALLER MEALS WALK MORE EXE MORE
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr commented on mommy52's status
Feb 04
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Feb 04
Feb 04