evidence for aggressive behaviour in hyperglycaemia? Type 1
I am a type 1 diabetic, having had it for 22 years!  I am very sporty anddon't let it stop me do anything although it is a pain in the bum at times and it really does get me down.  Recently when my blood sugar rose to 22 mmol/l 10 minutes after I had a shock from my neighbours, which I feel led me to hit one of my neightbours.  I am not usually a b=violent person and am tempted to blame my diabetes or my medication as this is not me or my normaml behaviour.  I am on lantus glargine and novorapid.  I usually am the type of person who woudl not harm a fly and am a very pateint person, caring nature and this really concerns me.  I feel I want to return to animal insulin as this did not effect me in this way.  Does anyone know of any incidents or websites relating to diabetes and crime or am I barking up the wrong tree? I have been now given a police caution which I cannpt believe as this is just not me and people are iin shock as they don't believe that I could do such a thing!  Please help me, I feel diabetes is jeopardising my future. Thankyou.
Dear kitty007,

I am glad to here that you are active and don't let diabetes get in the way. I do understand how frustrating it can be. My son has had type 1 for 20 years and has also had his moments. None of us are physicians here and cannot give you medical advice, but we are volunteers with experience living with diabetes.

Normally, it is hypoglycemia that can cause an aggressive or violent outburst and from my own personal knowledge I haven't heard of anyone with a high blood sugar react in such an out of character way. From your post it sounds like this is an isolated incident, but I think that you are right to not dismiss it and try to find answers. I haven't heard of any violent reactions to either insulin, but as I have said I am not a doctor. When you mentioned medications are you on anything else other than insulin? I am wondering if your bs dropped drastically and caused a hypoglycemic episode that caught you unaware. I have seen extreme stress play havic with my son's blood sugars.

I do have a website that I completely trust that may help. It is Children with Diabetes. I found a particular page called "ask the doctors" and it deals with violent outbursts. I found one of the comments from a doctor dealing with thyroid problems that may interest you. I have found this site very helpful for adults also. The page I have in mind is www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/dteam/2003-02/d_Od_a6k.htm.

My best recommendation is to speak to your doctor about this. It may be something as a simple adjustment to your insulin.

In my 17 years of volunteering, I have not heard anything about type 1 diabetes and crime. It is true that some people with diabetes who suffer from low blood sugars can have violent, aggressive behavior, but it is something that is usually ongoing and can be caused by poor management or complications.

You also mentioned that your diabetes can really get you down. I am not suggesting that this would be a cause of this incident, but depression is very common with anyone with a chronic disease. If you feel this could be a problem, please tell your doctor.

Please monitor this site for further comments and let us know what you find out. I have a feeling that you will be recieving more information. You sound like a very normal, peaceful person dealing with type 1 with all of it's up's and down's. I wish you well.
Best to You,
dm