Diabetes - Type 1 Community
extreme weight fluctuations
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

extreme weight fluctuations

I have seen posts about diabetic weight loss and weight gain but never one that concerns extreme cases of both. I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I have had diabetes since my late teens. I am 45 now. I also now have some complications from the diabetes one of which is gastroparesis of the stomach. I have fought my weight all my life and in the last few years my weight has started fluctuating wildly. I will weigh around 160 lbs. one month and a few months later I may weight as much as 250 lbs. (my current weight) and then the cycle repeats back and forth all the time.This is VERY frustrating as my clothes never seem to fit and when I gain weight I look and feel miserable. I do not know how to control this and I would really appreciate any advice, etc.
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Aside dietary intake/ blood sugar levels and physical exercise there are other few factors that could influence the body weight such as stress, hormonal/ endocrine issues, metabolic causes etc. If you are aiming at losing weight, it is important to calculate your current BMI and the target BMI. The target BMI should be in a healthy range. Aside indulging in moderate amounts of physical exercise it is also essential to maintain a healthy diet plan. A healthy diet should consist of adequate amounts of calories with carbohydrates, proteins, fat and plenty of fruits and vegetables to supply vitamins and minerals. Skipping any of the food components is not considered healthy. Also when aiming at losing weight the protein intake may be slightly increased and the carbohydrate intake slightly lowered. The calorie requirement should also be adjusted for ones physical activities as well. Lower than adequate calorie intake can also cause weight gain, due to the stress hormones kicking in. Start with a healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner. Also keep a track of calorie intake and your work out. With gradual consistent efforts, you should be able to lose weight as desired in a healthy way. If the above mentioned changes do not seem to help over a few months. I would suggest consulting a doctor to rule out secondary issues such as hormonal imbalance and for appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1472750_tn?1304727283
Blank
Lira_MHModerator commented on KJ268's status
Aug 25
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on Boys entering puberty...
Aug 24
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Aug 23
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979