Diabetes - Type 1 Community
exubera (inhaled insulin) and smoking?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

exubera (inhaled insulin) and smoking?

I was wondering I have been type 1 diabetic since 2000 i am currently 17. for the pasy 4 years i have been on humalog pens and lantus. Recently i was thinking about exubera but thought with smoking that might not be such a good Idea.. Am I right? or would it not make a difference?
i am a volunteer and not a physian, but i just heard that  exhubera will be taken off the market soon.  i  personally  do not think that is  a good idea to smoke any way but to take a medication that enters thru your lungs and smoke is not a good idea.
Hi Element,

Exubera would not likely give the delivery accuracy you need as a type 1, but since it has been pulled from the market this month due to lack of profitability, it does not matter.

Smoking, however, is another issue. Forget cancer. It is the reduction of blood flow nicotine causes, coupled with the microvascular disease you most likely are already developing that will start to affect first your eyes (retinopathy) then your nerves (neuropathy). I finally quit smoking when the retinoathy I developed in my 20's progressed to take one eye and half the sight in the other. The smoking was a primary casue of it's progression. Smoking will hurt you, badly and soon. And there is no going back.

Treat your diabetes with the respect it requires, and it will let you live a normal life. Cross it at your peril.

Larry