Diabetes - Type 1 Community
eye pain

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

eye pain

i'm having diabetic retinopathy in both eyes as i lost my vision in my right eye while the left one my vision is about 50% i'm having also macula edema and glucauma....with the drops that i'm using my glucauma is between 18-20 my problem is that i'm having severe eye pain that i can't focus on anything and my doctor is not helping me...so my question is there any relation between diabetes and eye pain ???
Hi Nivo.  I am a Mom of a 16 year old who has had diabetes for almost 15 years and I am also a volunteer with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  I am not a medical professional so any information that I give to you should be verified with your healthcare team.  

I have been reading for the past hour or so about diabetic retinopathy and macular edema and I could not find anything written about eye pain being typical or usual with either of these conditions.  As a matter of fact, one of the sites I visited stated that if you have these conditions and experience eye pain, you should contact your ophthalmologist for an evaluation.  Here are some web sites that you may find helpful:  Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation at www.jdrf.org, National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse National Institute of Diabetes and digestive and Kidney Diseases at www.niddk.nih.gov, National Eye Institute at www.nei.nih.gov, American Academy of Ophthalmology at www.eyenet.org, or American Optometric Association at www.aoanet.org.

I am sorry that I don't have any more specific information to pass on to you, but I do want to comment on one of the statements that you made.  You state that your doctor is not helping you.  You need to know that there are many other doctors who would gladly accept your business and you need to find one that you can get answers from.  Don't hesitate to go and get a second opinion.  You don't have anything to lose by doing this and you will be more satisfied with a doctor who can provide you with the answers that you need and deserve.

I wish you the very best in this situation.