high gliadin AB IGG level
My son underwent a blood test to determine if he has a sensitivity to gluten.  The results were that his Gliadin AB IGA level was within normal range, but his Gliadin AB IGG was high (45).  His regular pediatrician stated that the high AB IGG level was not important, and that he is not gluten intolerant, as demonstrated by the normal Gliadin AB IGA result.  Another doctor disagrees. Help - I am lost!!!
brooklynn mom,
     i'm certainly not qualified to disagree with a doctor. i know that doctors can make mistakes but i too am lost with these results as i've never in my history as a diabetic had either tested. i can only help that someone else who reads this will know the answer and will write a comment for you.
bret
It is true that the IgG antigliadin antibody is much less specific to celiac disease than the IgA antigliadin antibody. IgG can be raised in some other GI diseases, or for unknown causes, whereas if IgA is above normal, a diagnosis of celiac disease is more likely. In the other hand, some people are IgA deficient, and in such people, the elevated IgG antibody may be the only marker of celiac disease. There are a couple of other antibodies that can be tested, as well as a genetic test for two mutations that are found in 95% of people with celiac disease. It would be up to the doctor if further testing is recommended. Ultimately, if celiac disease is highly suspected, it must be confirmed with an endoscopy. You don't want to withhold gluten-containing food from a child without absolute evidence of celiac disease.