Diabetes - Type 1 Community
high protein diets, ketones & type 1 diabetes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

high protein diets, ketones & type 1 diabetes

I've got a bit of a long question really & just want some insight off fellow diabetics & professionals if poss... I am a 30yo woman diagnosed with T1 diabetes in May 2000. I was 19 & had 6 wks before undergone a hysterectomy. I believe this shocked me into becoming diabetic altho T2 diabetes runs thru my maternal family (excluding my mum).
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Sorry my net keeps crashing so this post might be written in a few different blocks :)
Blank
ok...
When i was 1st diagnosed i put a little weight on. I was a professional dancer & didnt eat much before diagnosis due to expectations in this industry to keep my weight down. It killed me having to eat often. It sent me a little 'cookoo' & not only did i cease eating but i stopped taking my insulin. I became severly anorexic & very near killed myself in the process.

Due to this stupidity & a lot of health issues it has taken me until 6 mths ago to get real control of my sugar levels. For the past decade my hba1c readings were generally between 16 & 28%.

18 mths ago i was struck down with a rare illness called Devic's & i lost my eyesight & ability 2 move my lower half over the period of 2 wks. I was treated with many nasty drugs, including chemo & very high dose steroids. Due to these drugs & the immobility i shot from a UK size 6-8 to a UK size 20 over about 3 mths.  

Altho my conditions have not improved i decided to stop the steroid treatment & finished the chemo and plasma transplants...PTO  
Blank
As soon as I came off the nasty drugs my weight started to drop but it wasnt coming off very fast & i seemed to stop at around 12 stone (i am 5'4"). I heard about the Dukan Diet & initially followed it religiously. This was approx 5 mths ago & i dropped down to about 12 & at this point my diabetes came under perfect control. This was possibly helped by being off the steroids which naturally higher sugar levels immensly. Once again it came to a halt. It was at this point that i became desperate. I now eat a grilled chicken breast, no oil, with herbs & spices, daily & 4 or 5 days a weeks will have a garden salad along with balsamic vinegar. My weight is down to approx 9.5stone & my sugars are almost always between 6 and 8.5. Most days i have ketones. Altho sometimes its an extremely high level, most days it shows midway on a ketone testing strip. I treat myself with a sandwich & muffin on a Fri or Sat. I have to increase insulin hugely on these days in order to have these carbs tho. I am now down to a UK size 10 & am over the moon. I know im not eating enough & paln to increase intake after ive lost perhapns another half stone but i am aware that its not good to always exhibit ketones. My sugars are near perfect tho & as soon as i eat carbs i CANNOT gain ANY control over them therefore i find myself in a quandry. I know i need to change my habits but dont want to increase calorie intake & end up not only putting the weight back on but also messing up my diabetic control at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice, opinion, etc that would help & be realistic when considering my health, immobility, predicament & past as an anorexic (i don't ever want to allow that to happen to me again)????

Thanks all & sorry about the huge question guys lol xxx
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet