Aa
A
A
Close
hypoglycemic coma death
So once in coma, does the body start shutting down, I.e. Respiratory heart ect? Father in law 84yrs has been given 2 months and is riddled with cancer, pancreas has started shutting down and now they want him to take insulin shots, he says he is ready to go and doesnt want to take insulin, what will happen? Will his body continue to function if in coma? If there is no resuscitation? Or will the body start shutting down? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your father in law.

If his pancreas is shutting down it means that there is not enough insulin and his blood sugar is going high.  They want to give him injected insulin to prevent it going so high.

You would not expect him to get low blood sugar unless he was given too much insulin.  However, in his current condition, I expect they will just give enough insulin to keep his sugars at manageable levels.

With regards to treating his blood sugar or not (ie. inject insulin or not), this is a discussion you and he need to have with his doctors.  At this point, keeping him comfortable and getting as much quality of life possible in the last few months would be a priority rather than aggressive treatment.

At this point, his body is already starting to shut down.    I assume that if he because unconscious the medical team may not take heroic measures.  Again this is discussion you and he need to have with his medical team.

Wishing you and him, and your family, strength and peace at this time.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet