Diabetes - Type 1 Community
in need of a pump

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

in need of a pump

I'm in need of a pump. I've not used one before, just injections. Can anyone recommend a place I can get it at a reasonable price?
Hi!  The answer depends on several things.  Where you live, whether you have insurance and whether your insurance will cover it.  If you line in the US, it's somewhat easier to find less expensive equipment.  If you have insurance, you can work with your insurance company to find a preferred provider and work out the financials that way.  If you don't have insurance, then there are other options to take.
I live in US and I have insurance but even with insurance and going to a participating provider it's too expensive for me. Do you know if i could get a cheaper refurbished or used pump from maybe another diabetic?
Even on this forum I have seen people offering or selling pumps so I'm guessing it's possible to find a pump like that. But how about getting a used one from a manufacturer? Do they do that?
I am not physician, but a mom of a type one on the pump.

I would suggest you contact the pump company that you want to use and self if they have any plans to help.  You DO NOT weren

if your insurance won't fork out a majority of the expenses you can buy insulin pumps online. I just did a search on eBay and saw a minimed 508 for 100 bucks as of now (see link below).

ALSO, I know minimed remanfacturers pumps. They may not advertise it and may not even let you speak to someone on their hotline about this topic BUT, I am sure you can buy a remanufactured one cheaper and it will have some form of warranty. My minimed pump has been replaced some 5-6 times in 2 years and every time is has been remanufactured. Only the first pump was new.

eBay has a new feature that allows you to request a product now so that might help you find a particular pump you want. And, you might try to raise some funding to buy a pump. There are some sites that help out in this: http://www.fundable.org

Here is the eBay link:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&submitsearch=Search&satitle=insulin+pump&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=47906&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1