Diabetes - Type 1 Community
insulin pump

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

insulin pump

i am diagnosed with diabetes since i was 5.now,i'm 21. I'm treated with insulin pens since i was diagnosed.I just want to ask do i have to change to the pump and which is better???...will i have a better control if i use the pump??
I suggest the minimed paradigm, it even comes with a sensor that will alert you if you have a high or low blood sugar (as I cant feel the lows the way I should, it happens after almost 20 years with diabetes), so it aids in the ability to better control your bs levels.  As stated before it is lifestyle choice, but for me I have had one for 10 years and it allows you to be "normal", if you want to eat a piece of cake you can, because a pump allows you to give insulin to what you eat verses the shots where you eat to the insulin. It doesnt mean that you can always cheat, but the occassional time will not kill you.  But be warned when on a pump, for the most part you have to be more intune with what you are doing and the effects that it will have on your body. Best of luck in your choice.
what will be far more important is what diet u live on, if u think u can eat what u want and adjust insulin for it, u will regret that because u can't
the best way is to strictly control your bs ALL THE TIME and eat right ALL THE TIME
FORGET about cheating as there will be times when your bs is low and u need that candy or cake and THAT is the time for it.
what is your height and weight
good luck
If you are doing great, don't worry about the pump.  I have been on a pump for 7 years and I love it. When you learn how to use it, you can do amazing things.  Two things that I love are that there is no more long acting insulin, and it keeps a record for so much stuff.  The no long acting insulin means that my basals can change every half hour.  I spent years on Lantus, like a yo yo.  Raise it and I crashed in the afterneen, lower it and the high fasting got higher. Now it changes during the day, and meets my needs instead of me having a shot and spending the day being obedient to the needs of the shot. If I am sick, I can raise it (by %...so I can run 150% of basal if sick or 60% if I am out and active) and if I guess wrong, I cancel and increase or decrease, and soon I am just fine. When I have to get a report for the doctor, I do it on the computer, and most of what I need is in the memory of the pump. As is the time of my last meal, when exactly was the last bolus, all sorts of stuff that sometimes is important. Big thing is that I haven't had a bad A1c since I have had one.
Hey, be sure to check out the omnipod, as well. This pump is called a "patch pump". This pump is different from the others on the market, because it is tubeless. The omnipod has pdm, which looks like a cellphone, and then the pod. The pdm wirelessly controls the pod to give meal/correction boluses, and doubles as a glucometer. the pod itself holds 200 units of insulin, and can be placed on many different sites (back of the arm, thigh, abdomen,etc). It's also waterproof. It's not sensor integrated, but you could wear a CGM stand alone device with it, if you wanted too. I didn't like being tethered to a pump. Go to myomnipod.com for more info. Good Luck!
It took my doctor a long time to convince me to switch to a pump, but now I cant imagine my life without it! It frees you from all the schedules and worrying about when the next meal is, how long between meals etc. SO much more freedom. And like people mentioned above once you are good to go you can adjust as required and your levels should stay steady.
if you like to travel or plan to tavel in the future it makes it so much easier too.
SO in a nutshell go for it!