Diabetes - Type 1 Community
insulin pumps and kids

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

insulin pumps and kids

my name is Paige and my son is 9 years old. He has been a diabetic for 3 years now. His last a1c was 8.2 which is 1 point higher than the last result. I'm a registered nurse but I feel helpless and unable to manage my son's diabetes effectively at times. The physician we saw last week has highly recommended an insulin pump for him. Although I'm convienced it will probably work great I'm very scared he's not ready for a $5000.00 piece of equipment. My husband is very pessimistic about the pump saying, " I don't understand how the pump can be any more effective than the lantus and novolog -there both doing the same thing". Is there anybody out there who has a child on the pump that can give me some feedback on whether you like it, hate it or whatever? Austin, my son, wants it because it cuts down on the injetions and he thinks it's "cool".  I need some response.

Paige Hillman
Hattiesburg, MS
i I am a mom of a type one diabetic.  My daughter went on the pump when she was 7 1/2 . And it was the best move we made.  Even though at the time she was on diluted insulin and we had to do a lot of math. It was well worth the effort.  

First of all most insurances pay for the pumps so   that is a good, thing the second is they are so user friendly and you get trained as a family with them.  

Your life will go almost back to normal.  Your son can skip a meal if he is not hungry.  It is nothing like being on Lantus and novo log.  
I felt the same as you did, but my daughter proved me wrong with in the first few weeks.  We were able to get her A1C down to very low ranges 6.8-7.1

I would suggest you go to www.childrenwithdiabetes.com they have asection that compares the different pumps this will help you choose the pump that has the features that are right for you and your family.

Please check back and let us know how things go
I am 35 years of age and just got my pump two years ago.. I have been diabetic since age one !!!  I should have done this LONG ago !! I counsel two young ladies one age nine and one age eight at the YMCA near my home and they are thrilled with their insulin pumps.  They are a lot easier to learn than you might think.   the control you gain almost immediately is astounding , really a great move to make in my opinion  after I waited way too long !!!
as I said the two young girls I speak with daily that are eight and nine years old LOVE theirs as well , they really amaze me honestly , they really understand their pumps and what they have done for them , they have had their pumps for one year and two months now .
thanks for this comment-I will let my husband read your input!!!