Diabetes - Type 1 Community
involuntary twitching of fingers

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

involuntary twitching of fingers

hi - i just recently signed onto MedHelp because i am extremely worried about a problem i believe i have. I'm not exactly sure what i have and hopefully i will get some answers here. During the day i experience involuntary twitching of my fingers and also twitching of my leg and toes sometimes. During the nighttime, just before i sleep (i am still half-conscious) my legs sometimes give a small or large jerk and it wakes me up. Sometimes it is my legs, and other times it is my fingers. It is very distressing and i am worried. Also, when i put my arm half on the table and stretch out my hand it trembles sometimes. Could this be because i may have cut blood circulating to the fingers causing the tremble or something more? The most stragnest thing is when i stretch/tighten my foot downward (like a ballerina) it trembles quite alot. Please, can someone help me answer these questions.
Hi JulieJetstar,
We're volunteers here adn not medical professionals so I encourage you to give your doctor a call.  Only a medical doctor can learn your history & health details and put that all into the context of a medical education & experience.

I'm sorry, but I don't know at all about the symptoms you describe.  They do sound distressing to you and sometimes stress alone can make symptoms worse.  Other non-scary thoughts include a pinched a nerve, the need for postural adjustments, or a nutrient/chemical imbalance that's affecting your nervous system.  Do your best to record the details of your symptoms to reveiw with your doctor.  Some important details would include "what" body part(s) are twitching, what time of day, what are you doing when it happens, what other stressors are present, any other physical symptoms.

Good luck with this. Nothing that you describe is in the typical list of diabetes symptoms and that is what we're knowledgable about in this forum.
You may want to ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels, for trembling is a symptom of over-active thyroid. I happen to know this because a good friend who suffers from this condition told me about the symptoms.
Oops, please forgive my goof ... I meant to write that trembling MAY be a symptom of thyroid malfunction. Obviously, that is not the only thing that can cause trembling, and your doctor can run all the proper tests to find out the cause.