Diabetes - Type 1 Community
metallic taste and diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

metallic taste and diabetes?

I've beeen having a metallic taste in my mouth and i have also been very thirsty and other symptoms. could this be diabetes?
maybe. are any of your other symptons fatigue, moodiness, or peeing a lot?
just nausea, excessive thirst, moodiness
Well the taste in your mouth doesn't fit what I experience with a high blood sugar as far as taste goes.  I get a dry taste in my mouth almost like that of the after taste of peach tea.  To be a bit more technical the taste that diabetics get is that of acetone (yes the same stuff in your nail polish remover).  

The nausea fits vaguely but that could really be anything.

Excessive thirst is a very common symptom of a high blood sugar and keytones in your blood system.  The excessive thirst is always accompinied by frequent urination.  The thirst is often for something sweet, because your body is looking for energy where ever it can get it.

Other symptoms include rapid weight-loss and not the good kind either, before I was diagnosed I lost 35lbs in 2 weeks.  

If you do exhibit these symptoms get your blood sugar tested if you have access to a glucose tester.  If you don't have a tester available to you, set up an appointment with your doctor and let them know it is fairly urgent.  Once you get your sugar tested your doctor will know immediatly.
It always good to maybe get an AIC done, which is an average blood sugar test of three months. Then you can really see how your blood sugar has been, and what type of diabetes you may have.