Diabetes - Type 1 Community
metallic taste and diabetes?

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

metallic taste and diabetes?

I've beeen having a metallic taste in my mouth and i have also been very thirsty and other symptoms. could this be diabetes?
maybe. are any of your other symptons fatigue, moodiness, or peeing a lot?
Avatar n tn
just nausea, excessive thirst, moodiness
Well the taste in your mouth doesn't fit what I experience with a high blood sugar as far as taste goes.  I get a dry taste in my mouth almost like that of the after taste of peach tea.  To be a bit more technical the taste that diabetics get is that of acetone (yes the same stuff in your nail polish remover).  

The nausea fits vaguely but that could really be anything.

Excessive thirst is a very common symptom of a high blood sugar and keytones in your blood system.  The excessive thirst is always accompinied by frequent urination.  The thirst is often for something sweet, because your body is looking for energy where ever it can get it.

Other symptoms include rapid weight-loss and not the good kind either, before I was diagnosed I lost 35lbs in 2 weeks.  

If you do exhibit these symptoms get your blood sugar tested if you have access to a glucose tester.  If you don't have a tester available to you, set up an appointment with your doctor and let them know it is fairly urgent.  Once you get your sugar tested your doctor will know immediatly.
It always good to maybe get an AIC done, which is an average blood sugar test of three months. Then you can really see how your blood sugar has been, and what type of diabetes you may have.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet