metformin, colitis, and food sensitivity
I was wondering if it's possible for metformin to cause severe food sensitivities and colitis.  I am a 36 year old female with polycystic ovarian syndrome.   After initiating metformin, many of the hormonal problems, including weight gain despite daily exercise and healthy eating habits, have greatly improved. However, several months after achieving a dose of 1250 mg of the metformin ER, I am experiencing profound food sensitivity and allergies that have been further complicated by colitis, vitamin D deficiency, fatigue, and chronic hives.  The fatigue seems to persist despite vitamin D supplementation. I've had so much improvement in my condition since taking the metformin that I would be very disappointed if I had to stop it.  I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if they have experienced food sensitivity and severe gastrointestinal problems on the metformin, and if these symptoms can be dose dependent.  If it is the metformin, I was hoping I could tolerate a lower dose rather than stop it entirely.

Thanks so much for any info.
Martha
I am a volunter and not a physican.  I would suggest that you call your physican and discuss your concerns.  He/ she would be the best to advise you .

Sorryi could not be of more help.
I think I have my physicians mostly baffled at this point as not a one of them has ever seen anything quite like this before.  Thanks for the advice though=)
My father-in-law developed hives (large ones throughout his body) soon after starting metformin.  He has now suffered from these hives for over a year.  He takes an allergy medicine (cetirizine hydrochloride) every day (three tablets which is over the recommended dose, but necessary to control his hive outbreaks) and predisone often.

I would like to know from more metformin users if this is something they have experienced.  BTW- He was referred to an allergist who claims it is some sort of an autoimmune response in older people (he is 65), which I do not believe as there were not objective tests to substantiate this.