Diabetes - Type 1 Community
precursor to diabetes?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

precursor to diabetes?

Is there any scientific evidence that consistently having a low blood sugar might be a sign that you may someday develop diabetes? (have one adult relative with type 2 diabetes)

Mine is low no matter what I eat or when I check.  Like between 70-75 whether fasting or an hour after eating (regardless what I eat, sugary or not).  I'm worried that I may be secreting too much insulin all the time or something.  I started checking because I often feel weak and tired regardless of when and what I eat.

Or is this a good thing?
Related Discussions
Hello googmonster,
First let me say that we're all volunteers here with lots of diabetes experience.  We're not medical professionals, so be sure to review information from here (and elsewhere on the internet) with your doctor.

Your blood sugar numbers are generally within the normal range tho'many folks do see a rise in BG after eating.  That spike can come 1-3+ hours after eating depending on the type of food (fats deley that spike).  As long as your numbers are not falling into the 50s, your numbers are not a cause of concern.  Do pay attention to your overall health -- the numbers are generally a reflection of your health and not a "cause" of it.

There is some evidence that some folks who develop hypoglycemia (a medical condition where the pancreas excretes too much insulin in response to carbohydrates) later develop diabetes.  Not all with hypoglycemia develop diabetes.  Hypoglycemia is a treatable condition also.  Personally, I wonder if the progression occurs in part because the beta cells are simply exhausted by their over-activity and they finally poop out or become sluggish.

Given there is some family tendency to diabetes, a good preventative strategy is to maintain a healthy weight for your height, get regular exercise to the level approved by your doc, and eat a healthy balanced diet.  A diabetic diet is really just a healthy diet with plenty of fruits & veges, healthy protein & fats, and suitable water to keep yourself well-hydrated.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
wideopen commented on Mediterranean Diet Ma...
Oct 16
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Oct 07
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Oct 03
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949