Diabetes - Type 1 Community
pregnancy and low blood sugar

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

pregnancy and low blood sugar

I have just found out i'm pregnant and have been having problems with my blood sugar staying below 59..Is this normal during pregnancy? I have also been having some of the worst pain in my lower back that i have ever had is this ok?
Congratulations to you! The low blood sugars may be due to the hormonal shift that you are just in the beginning of. Hopefully this will stabilize as the pregnancy progresses and hormones level out to their pregnancy levels. As for being normal, I can't say that it is. But all people are different, and hormones play a HUGE role in whether women are hypoglycemic or not. So I wouldn't worry about it, but do protect yourself if you drive anywhere. You don't want to be unsafe on the road, and the reality is that with a blood sugar of 59, your reaction times may not be that good. You may want to keep some small juice cans in the car for times when you feel a little funny. And you may find that you do better to graze all day on small snacks rather than letting too long a period of time go by in between large meals.

As for lower back pain, I would call my doctor about it. It probably is nothing, but kidney infections can have this symptom. So especially if you run a fever with lower back pain, do go to see your doctor. If your temperature is normal,then you may just want to mention it. Routine lab tests would show an elevated white cell count if you did have an infection.