recovering alcoholic and blood sugar control
I'm a newly recovering alcoholic (sober 92 days) and my blood sugar control is becoming unmanageable.  I realize that I am craving sugar to replace alcohol, and I do give in some, but my sugars are outrageous.  Even without eating sweets, I am finding days where I am in the 500s for no apparant reason.  And it takes a lot of insulin to regulate.  Just wondering if there are any more that have been in my shoes, or that are experiencing something like this now, that could share some highlights.  Thanks
Congratulations on your recovery!  Keep up the good work!

I am not a medical expert, just the parent of a kid with diabetes, and he scores go all over the place as well.  There are many factors that affect glucose scores, not the least of which is stress.  Stress can make your scores rise quite noticably.  Simply having a big test at school will make my daughter's scores go up a hundred points.  Exercise, or the lack thereof, can also affect glucose scores.  The types of food you choose can also affect your scores.  If you choose foods with high protein and fat content, that can make your scores go up some.  But if I had a guess, I'd bet that stress might be your main culprit.  It sounds like you are doing an awesome job of management, as well are really trying to understand the 'why' of what's happening.  That's awesome.  Check your glucose scores against times when you see stress, and see if there is a correlation.
Yes I did and he suggested going through pump training/management again, which I plan on doing.  I just wanted to know if there were others in alcohol recovery that were also finding bg control more difficult in sobriety.  My HbA1Cs have been reasonable when I was drinking (less than 7) and blood sugars generally better when i was drinking.  I don't think I have ever had bgs in the 500s before and I have never had sustained high blood sugars for hours.  I was in the 500s for half a day, even while compensating with Humalog.  I spoke with my endocronologist, whose only suggestion was training again.
I'am on the other end. I'am hypo, when I was drinking I could go for days without eating and I would be fine until I stopped, if I went the next day without drinking or eating I would crash BAD.
I didn't know what it was until a buddy lent me his meter. I was running in the 30's! I don't know exactly why but to be honest I have tried it a couple times and it happens every time.
just wandering.
rent